We all love puns

Got jokes? Funny images? Your tales of disaster? Youtube links?
Post them and share them.
Let the world laugh with you, (more fun if it's at you!)
Long Run

Re: We all love puns

Post by Long Run »

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Why did they name them 'LEGOs' ?

Because 'caltrops' was already being used.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Well I thought it was funny . . .

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Felt bad but laughed a lot!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

My enlarged prostate had a chuckle at this one.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Not exactly a pun and definitely not hilarious. So many English words sound alike.

From today's news in South Africa

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:shrug

Wait, did they use quart for court?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

:ok
BoSoxGal wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:28 pm
:shrug

Wait, did they use quart for court?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Do they even use quart in SA? I would have thought they were metric (indeed, I can't recall the last time I saw a quart liquor bottle in the US, just liters, 750 ml ,and 250 ml; most call the latter two fifths and pints, a throwback to the old days).

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Big RR wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:00 pm
Do they even use quart in SA?
Down at the fencing salle?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Quarte? Is it pronounced the same?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:00 pm
Do they even use quart in SA? I would have thought they were metric (indeed, I can't recall the last time I saw a quart liquor bottle in the US, just liters, 750 ml ,and 250 ml; most call the latter two fifths and pints, a throwback to the old days).
Love in a seven-50 mil bottle: quart, ngudu, and Zamalek—three words for a big beer in SA English
Apr 17, 2018 ~ gqomblog

Three words can be used to describe a 750ml bottle of beer in South Africa. One, quart, involves a historical misapplication of the name of the imperial unit of measure to another, newer, metric quantity; it has for some time now been the standard term for this size beer bottle. The second, ngudu, from one or more of the Nguni languages, is a more recent addition to the lexicon of SA English. Both are generic terms referring to any beer, or beer bottle, of that size. The third, Zamalek, the name of an Egyptian football club, on the other hand, refers to a specific size of a specific brand of beer.
quart

In general, the word quart in English is best known as representing an imperial unit of capacity—two pints, a quarter gallon (1.13 litres in the UK; 0.94 in the US)—or as a vessel having that capacity. In most well-known online dictionaries by international publishers these senses are the most salient. Quart, where it applies as a unit of measurement of beer or whatever, is in broad use in the world’s most populous English-speaking regions.

In South Africa, on the other hand, quart is the established word for a 750ml bottle of beer—this size beer bottle is not conventionally known by another name.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Back in the day, liquor in America was sold by the gallon, usually in increments of a fifth-of-a-gallon (hence the term, "a fifth of whiskey" or whatever) — and a fifth of a gallon ≈ 25.6 fluid ounces.
(why they settled on a fifth, rather than a quart or some other measure, is a topic for another discussion ... probably had something to do with taxation, most likely)

When the liquor industry moved to retire the imperial measurements and started to adopt the metric measurements (liter, etc.) they still wanted to keep the traditional 'fifth'.  By a convenient quirk of fate, the winemaking industry had long ago established the 750-ml bottle as the standard so that sized container was already there, ready to leap into the breach.  And since 750 ml equals 25.3 fluid ounces, the difference was negligible.

That is why, when you go to a liquor store in America today and ask for a 'fifth of scotch', you will be shown a bottle containing 750 milliliters of the distiller's art.
-"BB"-

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Thanks Bill, I never really knew why the smaller bottle was called a fifth; it makes sense.