Coronavirus

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
MajGenl.Meade

Re: Coronavirus

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Sue U wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:28 pm
If it were me? Just sayin' . . .
Well, I can afford a few weeks in the USA - sponging off family and friends to avoid rent. I can afford the Western Cape for a month - cheap in comparison to er.... something. But anything else is cost prohibitive. I've been to NZ - very nice and super Brit automobiles (if one loves the 60s).

I'd just decided we would go - worked out the tickets (much sweat) and then found out that one connection was Tel Aviv and Israel don't want no steenkin' transients. Then France "non". And then I started to worry about New Jersey which doesn't like people from anywhere in the USA, including those who have been in Ohio. Gave it up.

We're planning three weeks in the Cape (which is where we live now - Groot Brakrivier. Look it up. There's nothing here except a little town, the river, the sea and peace). We'll be booking three places near our favorite wineries - the actual Cape around Groot Constantia, et al; Franschhoek for Mullineux et al; and Somerset West for Flagstone and access to Stellenbosch. They don't get decent wine in Auckland, do they?

;)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:55 pm
They don't get decent wine in Auckland, do they?
Well, I suppose they *could* get them, but they'd have to bring them up from the South Island, wouldn't they?
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Oh yeah . . .
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

MGM is a Marlboro man?

Gob

Post by Gob »

A nurse in El Paso, Texas, has told of the 'horrific' conditions at hospitals in the city as the state grapples with one of the worst surges in coronavirus in the United States, and prison inmates are brought in to help carry the dead in morgues.

Registered nurse Lawanna Rivers took to Facebook to describe her time at the University Medical Center in El Paso where she claims patients were taken to a room called The Pit and given just three rounds of CPR before being pronounced dead.

In a video posted to Facebook November 7 she said: 'My first day at orientation, I was told that whatever patients go into the pit, they only come out in a body bag. I saw a lot of people die that I felt like shouldn't have died.

'This hospital's policy was they only get three rounds of CPR which was only six minutes, this out of all the codes we had, there is not a single patient that made it.'

Her shocking statement came as pictures taken Saturday show offenders, dressed in PPE gear, helping the El Paso County Medical Examiner's office carry the dead to refrigerated trucks amid a mounting death toll that threatens to overwhelm the state.

The virus that is surging throughout the U.S. has been unsparing across Texas where the latest figures show more than one million people have tested positive for the virus; more than 20,000 people have died across the state as of Monday.

In El Paso data released by the city Sunday confirms six more people had died from the virus. There were 981 new COVID-19 cases with more than 73,000 people testing positive in total. The city said there were seven additional deaths Monday bringing the death toll to 769. The deaths include two men and one woman in their 70s, two men and one woman in their 80s, and one woman in her 90s. All seven had underlying health conditions.

Last week daily deaths were increasing at a slightly higher rate with 15 additional deaths reported Saturday; 16 on Friday and 29 deaths reported Thursday. As of November 6 the death toll was 657, indicating the rise since then.

An El Paso County Sheriff's Office spokesman confirmed to The Texas Tribune that up to eight inmates have volunteered to carry out the work for $2 an hour. The inmates are not normally paid for their community work but are said to have 'refused to work unless they were compensated' for this task, the spokesperson confirmed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tions.html
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

This hospital's policy was they only get three rounds of CPR which was only six minutes, this out of all the codes we had, there is not a single patient that made it
I don't see a problem with that; when critical/intensive care services are being so overwhelmed, they have to be marshaled where they will do the most good, and reviving very sick people over and over again until they finally die is not, IMHO, the best use of the resources. If resources were unlimited we could afford to keep them alive longer, but these are not normal times. Ditto for the use of DOC inmates to transport remains to portable morgues; when budgets are strained it makes a lot of sense.

I worked in an emergency room years ago and the same decisions were made when we got extra busy (like when there was a big auto accident with multiple injuries), some patients were just made comfortable and left to die while the resources were devoted elsewhere where they could yield more positive results. It's not a pleasant thought, but that's just how hospitals work, and have always worked.
Last edited by Big RR on Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Exactly; especially considering that the success rate of CPR even in the hospital setting is very low - 15-20% - and an even tinier percent of that number who are successfully resuscitated will recover sufficiently to ambulate out of the hospital into a relatively normal life. Most will be heavily care dependent for whatever time they survive.

Also noteworthy is the extreme risk of infection that is presented by the process of doing CPR on a severely ill patient with highly contagious infectious disease. If I was that sick, I wouldn’t want the life of a doctor nurse or respiratory therapist to be potentially lost in a vain attempt to rescue me.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

An El Paso County Sheriff's Office spokesman confirmed to The Texas Tribune that up to eight inmates have volunteered to carry out the work for $2 an hour. The inmates are not normally paid for their community work but are said to have 'refused to work unless they were compensated' for this task, the spokesperson confirmed.
The Germans had a word for this back in the 1940s ... 'Sonderkommandos'.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

dales

Post by dales »

WIR SIND IN TIEFER SCHEIßE.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

And the Martin Shkreli award goes to:
The average cost of a COVID-19 test in the commercial market is $130. In contrast, out-of-network cost more than $185 for nearly half of diagnostic tests and a third of antibody and antigen tests.

This represents a 10% increase in the share of high cost diagnostic and antibody tests since July. The share of COVID-19 tests administered out-of-network increased by 14%.

As much as 16% of out-of-network test claims were more than $390—three times the average cost.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

America’s catastrophic coronavirus crisis hit new heights as the most recent daily total of numbers of new cases neared the grim landmark of 200,000 a day and the overall total of infections in the US was heading to 12m.

The New York Times reported that its database showed a seven-day average has exceeded 100,000 cases a day every day for the last two weeks and that Friday’s total number was 198,500 – a record infection rate for a single day.

Meanwhile, the John Hopkins University database showed that the total number of Covid-19 cases in the US was now more than 11,915,000 cases, by far the largest total in the world.

The news comes as vast swaths of America are imposing new restrictions on movement and businesses in a bid to contain the spiraling pandemic, even as the federal government response led by the Trump administration remains largely passive.

On Saturday California will enact a nighttime curfew as surging coronavirus cases threaten to swamp healthcare systems and the state’s largest county warned that an even more drastic lockdown could be imminent.

The newest restrictions require people not on essential errands to stay home from 10pm to 5am through 21 December, with a possible extension if rapidly worsening trends don’t improve. People will be allowed to shop for groceries, pick up food and even walk their dogs.

Authorities say the focus is on keeping people from social mixing and drinking the kinds of activities that are blamed for causing Covid-19 infections to soar after dipping only a few months ago.

Dr Mark Cullen, an infectious disease expert who recently retired from Stanford University, said the underlying goal is based on a reasonable interpretation of data.

“Large numbers of people getting together oblivious of controls no masks, no social distancing, often indoors a lot of those things are in fact occurring at night,” Cullen said. However, he also questioned whether a limited curfew will be effective.

Continues here...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

No coincidence that the surge follows on the heels of football season. A short half-mile walk around my neighborhood on a weekend during the time popular teams are playing will show a number of parties to watch a game. 8-12 people per party, most attendees getting infected over the 3+ hours with masks off for all or a significant portion of the game, yelling, close quarters. A little back of the envelop math. Say there is just a 1 in 300 chance that a person is infected and doesn't know it (that's about the odds in Oregon, a low infection state). In a state of 4 million if there are 300,000 people gathered across the state in parties of 10, that is 30,000 parties in a week. (Not all football, of course, we have soccer fanatics and plenty of people tired of waiting to get married or eulogize a loved one, or otherwise tired of not socializing). At each party, there is a 3% chance a person is infected and doesn't know it. So, if there are 100 parties, about 3 will have an infected person who will infect most of the other 27 attendees, so let's just call it 15 people infected in those 100 parties. Multiply this times 300 and 4,500 people are infected in one week. They go out and infect their house mates and fellow workers, say a 30% multiplier, and you get to 6,000 cases per week just from football and other social gatherings. Add in the 1,000 per week that were occurring before the football season surge, and you get 7,000. That's the number of weekly infections in this state.

The good news is there are only so many football fans to get infected. This surge will start to burn out in a month. The reduction will be incorrectly accredited to the unnecessary limitations on shopping, working in an office, and other safe activities that are being cut back.

Gob

Post by Gob »

God will save them!!
A Hasidic wedding in Brooklyn slipped under the radar of city officials as it crammed 7,000 maskless people into a synagogue in defiance of Governor Andrew Cuomo's coronavirus restrictions.

On November 8, crowds gathered shoulder to shoulder in the Yetev Lev temple in Williamsburg to celebrate the nuptials of Yoel Teitelbaum, grandson of Satmar Grand Rabbi Aaron Teitelman.

To keep the celebration under wraps, the community shared information on the wedding only by word of mouth as organizers schemed to avoid it being broken up by 'the ravenous press and government officials'.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... dding.html

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Hope they enjoy watching their elders die this Chanukah.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Gob wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:44 am
To keep the celebration under wraps, the community shared information on the wedding only by word of mouth
Shorely shome mishtake . . . "to keep it under their hats"?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

So i had to report this. My extended family have proven to be pretty whackadoodle alladay with respect to masks. This even as there are at least 2 nurses and a flight paramedic in the circle. Well last night my niece, who is a nurse, announced that her grandparents both have covid. One case is serious. Odds on this bringing anyone to their senses?

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Ugh, so sorry. My sister’s in-laws, who are immuno-compromised, came down with it at the beginning of the month, when their youngest son visited from a state w no masking requirements. Luckily they recovered quickly. Hoping the same for your family.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?