Doc flew over my house this morning.

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
MGMcAnick

Doc flew over my house this morning.

Post by MGMcAnick »

They are doing flight crew training this weekend.

I've probably mentioned that one of Doc's qualified captains grew up next door. He's pushing 40. I guess they're trying to qualify more crew. At $3600 an hour, they don't just fly around the patch for nothing.

We are right on the ILS (Instrument Landing System) as far as E-W, although a little far out for altitude to be a factor. They were plenty high. Due to the ILS I doubt Tim, or whomever was piloting, had anything to do with the route. Lots of planes fly over. Doc is special. Doesn't even sound like today's planes. I look up whenever I hear that sound.

If I could afford a ride, I'd pay extra to buzz, I mean make a missed approach to, our little residential airport.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Gob

Re: Doc flew over my house this morning.

Post by Gob »

Photos?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:56 am
If I could afford a ride, I'd pay extra to buzz, I mean make a missed approach to, our little residential airport.
According to their website, the best seat in the house — the bombardier position in the nose — is $1500 for a 90-minute session which includes a 30-minute flight  (as an aside, that's one stimulus check......)   Now consider that some people are willing to pay that same kind of money or more to go see a Super Bowl football game.  Remember too that there are football games played every weekend, and a Super Bowl every year.  But there will never be another 'DOC'.

Secondly, look at what became of the Liberty Foundation's B-17 'Liberty Belle' in June 2011, or the Collings Foundation's 'Nine-O-Nine' in October 2019.  God forbid that anything bad should befall 'DOC' after all their hard work, but shit sometimes happens anyway.

All-in-all then, I'd say, "Put it on your bucket list and go for it!!" before it becomes a case of 'woulda-coulda-shoulda'.  So maybe it will put you another year or two behind in restoring that MG project of yours.  Don't worry; it will still be there in the garage waiting for you once you land.

As for 'buzzing the tower' — in the words of 'Goose' Bradshaw from Top Gun, "No!  No, Mav, this is not a good idea!"
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Oh, don't think I haven't looked into a ride BB. I should get a discount for all those summers Tim and his siblings spent swimming in our pool. Naah, that won't happen.

My stimulus check will go toward something frivolous, like paying our income tax.

There is no tower to buzz in our back yard. Just 27 houses on a half mile grass runway. Someone just landed a Mooney.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Gob wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:14 am
Photos?
I've never figured out how to post pix from my phone. I have photos of Doc from the first time it flew after restoration, right up to the other day.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MGMcAnick wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:09 pm
Oh, don't think I haven't looked into a ride BB. I should get a discount for all those summers Tim and his siblings spent swimming in our pool. Naah, that won't happen.
Have you ever asked?  Sometimes a person needs to be reminded of a courtesy extended before you can call it in as a favor granted.
Worst thing that can happen is they tell you no.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?