We all need something uplifting from time to time . . .

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
ex-khobar Andy

We all need something uplifting from time to time . . .

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

dales

Re: We all need something uplifting from time to time . . .

Post by dales »

That's the ticket!

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

rubato

Post by rubato »

God that is awful. Make it go away.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

First off all, it's just my two cents worth, but an engine running all by its lonesome is not, to my way of thinking, a 'train'.

And based on both the size/gauge of the engine (as opposed to the scale of the display layout around which it is circling), the bare minimum of track work, and the total absence of any landscaping/scenicking, somebody went to a helluvalot of work for what appears to be a temporary setup just for the sake of the record attempt.  It also makes me wonder just how much planning and trial-and-error went into getting the spacing of the glasses as well as the speed of the passing locomotive exactly right — let alone being able to KEEP it at such a steady, consistent velocity.

But it worked, and I guess that's all that counts.

I am also adding the Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg to my list of things I would like to see in person (but probably never will) before I finally kick the bucket.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:01 am
based on both the size/gauge of the engine, the bare minimum of track work, and the total absence of any landscaping/scenicking, somebody went to a helluvalot of work for what appears to be a temporary setup just for the sake of the record attempt.  
All both of those three things? D'ja think so? :lol:
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
I am also adding the Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg to my list of things I would like to see in person (but probably never will) before I finally kick the bucket.
:ok While the music is only impressive for its record-setting length, that model train layout (including everything in the background of the music-train journey....and that airport!!!) is truly mind-blowing. It's definitely on my list for if I ever get to Germany before I die!
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Gob

Post by Gob »

rubato wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:16 am
God that is awful. Make it go away.
He's heard that said about himself so often, he's beginning to echo it...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Jeez rube - it's not meant to be a musical masterpiece. Any number of orchestras including my daughter's school band when she was about 7 could do a better job of the William Tell Overture. What a spectacular model train set.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

"Tuning" the glassware alone is pretty impressive. Also, the creator has some definite musical preferences: I think I heard at least four pieces out of Carmen.
GAH!

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Econoline wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:09 am
:ok While the music is only impressive for its record-setting length, that model train layout (including everything in the background of the music-train journey....and that airport!!!) is truly mind-blowing. It's definitely on my list for if I ever get to Germany before I die!
If you click on the link I provided, it will take you to their Facebook page which shows the layout in more detail... including the airport.
Did you happen to notice that one of the 'aircraft' in the flight pattern is the Millennium Falcon from "Star Wars"?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:00 am
Bicycle Bill wrote:
based on both the size/gauge of the engine, the bare minimum of track work, and the total absence of any landscaping/scenicking, somebody went to a helluvalot of work for what appears to be a temporary setup just for the sake of the record attempt.  
item one - size, or more correctly, scale.  item two - track gauge (distance between the rails).   one, two — hence, both.

While 'scale' and 'gauge' are often used interchangeably, they are not the same.  'Gauge' refers to the distance between the rails, while 'scale' refers to the degree of miniaturization — for example, 1/4-inch scale (commonly called 'O') is a ratio of 1 to 48 — 1 inch on the model equals 48 inches on the prototype.  Then there's 'HO' (1/86) and 'N' (1/160).

While most do represent the standard gauge found in the real world, some especially dedicated hobbyists model 'narrow gauge' railroads (think of various mountain routes such as the famed Durango-to-Silverton run in Colorado) in which the rails are set closer together than the norm, but the freight cars, coaches, and cars are still true to the dimensions of the full-size equipment.  These get specialized designations such as 'HOn3', which translates to "HO scale running on tracks set to represent a gauge of three feet".
-"BB"-
....who is also the owner, president, CFO (Chief Financial Offier), CME (Chief Maintenance Executive), and COE (Chief Operating Engineer) of the Three Rivers Railroad, a privately-owned rail carrier duly and properly chartered to operate trains between Here and There anytime I damned well feel like it!!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:00 am
Bicycle Bill wrote:
In your system, I was wrong. It wasn't three - it was four. Your conclusion was:

. . . based on both
1. the size
2. the gauge
3. the bare minimum of track work
4. the total absence of any landscaping . . .

Conclusion: someone went to a helluva lot of trouble . . .

:D
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Poor rubato
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”