America, We Have a Problem

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

America, We Have a Problem

Post by Bicycle Bill »

When National Public Radio names a 'rap' full of vulgarity as Song of the Year ... but during that same year people will continue to propose banning a song from airplay based on what they perceive as 'suggestive or coercive content' and find Dr. Seuss 'inappropriate' ...

.... we have serious issues.

(interesting point ... read through the article in the first link and see why NPR did what they did .... not because it's so great a song, but because it "drew the ire of the insecure, of zealots and moral grandstanders.”   In other words, it pissed off the right-wing.
Now, where have we seen/read/heard of another group of people using a similar line of 'logic'?)

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Re: America, We Have a Problem

Post by Gob »

Just goes to show the stupidity of the times.....
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Of course, what NPR's reviewer actually said about WAP bears little resemblance to the article writer's re-interpretation of her words, much less Bill's further distortion. But seeing the usual suspects get their panties bunched over the repetition of the word "pussy" certainly is satisfying.

Remind me again who found Dr. Seuss to be "inappropriate", because I don't remember that happening.

And about that song seen to be glorifying rape, not gonna lose any sleep over it not getting as much airplay.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I would bet that 99.8% of the objections to WAP are coming from men who can't get any pussy, men who don't have the skills to get a pussy wet, and women who can't find anyone who wants their pussy or who can get their pussy wet.

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I have not heard the song; I don't enjoy what 'rap' or 'hip-hop' I have listened to - which possibly means that I just don't get it which I am fine with because I just don't get jazz either - but it seems that NPR were not alone in seeing it as song of the year. Just to take one paragraph from the Wikipedia entry:
The song debuted at number one on United States Spotify songs chart with over 2.34 million streams, becoming the first female rap collaboration to do so.[139] "WAP" also debuted at number one on the US Apple Music songs chart—the platform's highest ever debut by a female artist—extending Cardi B's record as the female artist with the most chart-toppers in the service (7).[140]
I remember the 'pearl clutching' that went on when Sir Michael Jagger (OK, that was in his future) sang "Let's Spend the Night Together" and civilization survived.

Personally I regard Trump and the right's denial of climate change and COVID vaccination far more obscene that anything Cardi B has done.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Personally I regard Trump and the right's denial of climate change and COVID vaccination far more obscene that anything Cardi B has done.
Agreed. :ok

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:42 am

Remind me again who found Dr. Seuss to be "inappropriate", because I don't remember that happening.

Here you go...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Yes, I remembered how it went which is why I said it. No one had judged Dr. Seuss, the man, or his body of work, in toto, to be inappropriate. The owners of the Dr. Seuss works had decided for themselves that six titles that almost no one had ever heard of would not be published again going forward. No one engaged in any book burnings or purges of Dr. Seuss titles from the shelves of bookstores and libraries.

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Ok, so Dr Suess publishers found some of his books "inappropriate", there's your answer :-)

Inappropriate?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I'm saying that Bill's statement was a gross distortion of what had actually taken place.

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT

CUNT

The prudes on this board really need to get over themselves.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Learned a new word, did you?
Or just the correct way of spelling it?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Just because of whose panties will get twisted over it:
Azealia Banks Says New Song Is About Kanye's "Throbbing Black Billionaire C**k"

When you enter the world of Azealia Banks, you should be expecting all kinds of antics. After nearly a decade of time in the spotlight, the 30-year-old rapper remains one of the most relevant women in rap. However, she's been effectively blacklisted from a percentage of the industry because of her hateful rants on social media, often targeting Lizzo, Doja Cat, Megan Thee Stallion, and others. Azealia seemingly also has a lot of hatred in her heart for Kanye West, so fans were confused when she started to tease her new single by wearing nails reading the billionaire's name.

The track is officially released, titled "Fuck Him All Night." It's about... well, you should already know what it's about from the title. Some saw the record as a direct message to her long-time rival Kanye, but according to the artist herself, "Fuck Him All Night" is not a record that disses 'Ye.

"This is about fuckin him all day and fucking him all night," said Banks about her new song and Kanye West. "This is about the throbbing black billionaire cock. Get into it."

Azealia previously said that she wanted to have a baby with Kanye following his divorce from Kim Kardashian West, but she later backtracked and said she was simply joking. Do you think she's playing around or does she actually want to get with 'Ye?

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

"most relevant woman in rap"?  By who's say-so?  That's a rather dubious achievement, sort of like being one of the most-followed persons on TikTok, Twitter, or Facebook.

But since scooterpie obviously posted this to give me a cyber-wedgie, and so he knows I saw his post, I'll post this one comment.  Just because the rest of the world is willing to go to hell in a handbasket doesn't mean I also have to climb in and find myself a seat.

I'll stick with my 1960s-1980s classic rock; like the guy on the station says, "tune us in and then rip off the knob."
-"BB"-

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Never heard of her. Don't want to. Another early entrant for the rubbish-heap of . . . well, not even history really.

The repugnant are always attracted to the reprehensible
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

'll stick with my 1960s-1980s classic rock; like the guy on the station says, "tune us in and then rip off the knob."
Please confirm that doesn't include disco. You know, the extraordinarily long period between 60s style rock and new wave.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

What you going to ignore punk and metal?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Nah, I like them; grunge too. I can even tolerate 80/s dance rock. But not disco; there are a few songs I can tolerate, but not very many, and if they all suddenly disappeared, I would not miss them. FWIW, I think the reason I don't mind dance rock is that, by that time, popular music had evolved into a number of different sub-genres and, by selection of the "appropriate" radio station you could get more of what you liked and less of what you didn't. While here were a few progressive rock stations that avoided it, most stations played "mostly disco, most of the time", ditto for popularr entertainment like movies and television shows--you just couldn't get away from it.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Those two had thier Genisis between the 60’s and new wave (which is usually considered an offshoot of punk)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Genesis started in 1967. ;-)