Second hand cars

Cars, Bikes, Airplanes, "bicycles" spelled correctly, Tools and Toys.
Gob

Second hand cars

Post by Gob »

“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Second hand cars

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

From the title, I assumed that this would be a thread about the price and availability of used cars in the US. New cars are up too and apparently for many models it's manufacturer's price or forget it - no negotiating. Several factors, one of which is the reduced availability of chips and another is that many of us have more $ to spend simply because we have not been going to restaurants and vacation for 18 months not. Don't know if the same factors are at play in the UK used car market.

See more here.

PS - I quite fancy that Lambo Miura in Gob's link. My old University roommate used to deliver vehicles across Europe for Lamborghini - he'd pick it up in Sant'Agata Bolognese and drive it to its new owner. Not a bad holiday job for an 18-year-old.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I suppose i could put this here .....

What is the Best First Car   (used, of course)   for a Teenager?

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:34 pm
I suppose i could put this here .....

What is the Best First Car(used, of course)for a Teenager?
Answer: One that's fairly safe, and cheap enough that dad and mom won't mind a whole lot when it gets totaled.

Mine was my $50 Hudson Hornet, to which I added $10 seatbelts and $25 worth of used cotton ply tires. Right after that I found out that it would do 112 MPH (indicated). I was invincible at 15.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Gob

Post by Gob »

We bought the daughter a 30 year old Holden. It had manual evcerything, electric nothing. Bomb proof and pretty unbreakable. A good start.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Electric nothing? Certainly it had an electric start and lights, radio, etc.--correct? I recall the Holden being the name that certain GM cars were sold under in Australia, correct? I know they had all of that.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

I think Gob is thinking electric accessories like power windows, power remote fob operated door locks, and trunk release. Those are things that can be expensive to fix if (when) they quit working. Shucks, even the Model T Ford I owned 44 years ago had (dim) electric lights and four electric coils to make the spark plugs sparkle.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Gob

Post by Gob »

What he said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That's what I thought, but I couldn't resist the temptation to respond as I did. :D