Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Long Run

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by Long Run »

It is odd that the vaccine has become a political issue. The speed at which the vaccines were developed is likely the greatest accomplishment of Trump's administration (obviously it was not him alone, but as POTUS he deserves significant credit). Trump got COVID and got the vaccine, like most politicians of either party. So why are people who supported Trump more likely to not have taken the vaccine? What seems to have happened is that the level of response to the pandemic (i.e., the lock down) is a political issue, and a fair one to have a vigorous debate over (most countries had the same type of debate). This legitimate political issue has been conflated with the health response of vaccines, which should be universally appreciated and implemented. Indeed the vaccines are the best and most obvious way out of the lock down debate.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

LR, you have expressed the most persuasive statement I have heard yet about the situation with Covid in the USofA.

IMNSHO, the lockdown was taken seriously, as far as I know, only in some homes-for-the-elderly in the NW. No staff was permitted to leave. No one was allowed to enter. Supplies and waste were placed in isolated areas and brought in or removed with a period of isolation and no contact.

Anything less than that, (and everywhere else in the USofA the lockdown was less) given the knowledge of the pandemic at that time, was just metaphorical masturbation as a public health policy.

At the height of the scare, my wife went into the local emergency facility, and then into a holding area before admission as a patient, TWICE, two weeks apart. Both times I was allowed to be physically with her the entire time with not even mask, gloves, gown. Each time after a two hour wait, she was admitted as a patient into the hospital itself. During the two hour wait, my wife was tested by nasal swab for Covid19. I was not tested, not even taking my temperature. When the decision was made to admit her, I was at that time told to go home and wait for further information. Her problem had nothing to do with Covid. She had Alex Trebek disease.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Burning Petard wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:33 pm
LR, you have expressed the most persuasive statement I have heard yet about the situation with Covid in the USofA.

IMNSHO, the lockdown was taken seriously, as far as I know, only in some homes-for-the-elderly in the NW. No staff was permitted to leave. No one was allowed to enter. Supplies and waste were placed in isolated areas and brought in or removed with a period of isolation and no contact.

Anything less than that, (and everywhere else in the USofA the lockdown was less) given the knowledge of the pandemic at that time, was just metaphorical masturbation as a public health policy.

At the height of the scare, my wife went into the local emergency facility, and then into a holding area before admission as a patient, TWICE, two weeks apart. Both times I was allowed to be physically with her the entire time with not even mask, gloves, gown. Each time after a two hour wait, she was admitted as a patient into the hospital itself. During the two hour wait, my wife was tested by nasal swab for Covid19. I was not tested, not even taking my temperature. When the decision was made to admit her, I was at that time told to go home and wait for further information. Her problem had nothing to do with Covid. She had Alex Trebek disease.

snailgate
Where are you located, roughly? I seem to recall mid-Atlantic? Was this a really small community hospital, or a larger hospital facility?

I’m just shocked by the procedures you observed because here it was pretty much locked down from the middle of March 2020. I had to be treated in the ER for a collies fracture and the place was dead quiet - patients only allowed in, family had to wait outside in the car if they wanted to wait at all. They weren’t gonna get in, no matter how serious the patient was, so most folks just got dropped at the door by family who waited anxiously to hear a diagnosis etc.

Far as I know my experience was the typical - it was certainly the situation I heard reported all over the news, that except in the case of minor children nobody was allowed to have a family member or other support person in the ER or even in routine medical appointments.

Still I’m very glad your wife got to have you with her, I’m sure it was a huge comfort to her.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That's my experience as well (in NJ); my mother in law died in May last year and no one was allowed in the hospital. They joined us onto phone calls for medical discussions and we could visit by Zoom (although she was fairly) but there were no exceptions (it was bad enough for an older parent, but I wondered what iy would have been like if this occurred with one of my kids and they had to face death/treatment alone.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Family says conservative radio host has changed his tune on vaccines after he was hospitalized with Covid-19

'Just get the stupid shot': Unvaccinated mom who got Covid-19
(CNN) — For months, conservative Nashville, Tennessee-based radio host Phil Valentine has repeatedly made posts on multiple social media platforms telling his fans that if they weren't at risk for Covid-19, they shouldn't get the vaccine.

That message changed on July 23, when the Valentine family made a public statement on the Facebook page of his talk radio station's Facebook page.

Hospitalized Covid-19 patients are asking for the vaccine -- when it's too late, two health care workers say
"Phil contracted the Covid virus a little over a week ago and has since been hospitalized and is in very serious condition, suffering from Covid Pneumonia and the attendant side effects," the family statement reads, which emphasizes that Valentine has never been an anti-vaxxer. "(Phil) regrets not being more vehemently 'Pro-Vaccine' and looks forward to being able to more vigorously advocate that position as soon as he is back on the air, which we all hope will be soon."
It ends by urging listeners to continue praying for Valentine and to "PLEASE GO GET VACCINATED!"

Popular syndicated conservative radio personality Phil Valentine records a podcast in March 2019.
Popular syndicated conservative radio personality Phil Valentine records a podcast in March 2019.
Valentine's hospitalization came after the talk radio show host repeatedly dismissed the seriousness of the virus and the importance of vaccines in preventing infection.

On December 17, 2020, Valentine wrote on his blog that his odds of getting Covid-19 were "pretty low," and that the odds of him dying from it were "probably way less than one percent."
"If I decide not to get vaccinated, I'm not putting anyone else's life in danger except perhaps people who have made the same decision," he wrote.

Delta variant has even conservatives talking up the vaccine but reluctance remains
That's because, he wrote, the vaccine is highly effective so there wasn't any way he could infect someone who's been vaccinated if he got Covid-19.

He also argued that he wasn't an "anti-vaxxer," he was just a "logical thinker."

Valentine repeatedly made similar vaccine misinformation posts and shared misleading information about Covid-19 on social media. He even told followers they didn't need to get the vaccine.

One woman posted that her sister had encouraged her to get vaccinated but her "gut told her not to" because she'd already had the virus.

"Don't listen to your sister," Valentine responded. "If you've had (Covid-19) you have natural immunity."

He told another follower that "only those in danger of dying from (Covid-19) should've gotten vaccinated."

If you've had Covid-19, here's what you should know about vaccines, variants and more
Health officials and doctors say people who've previously had Covid-19 should still get vaccinated. Late-stage clinical trial data suggests the vaccines are safe and help protect people with past Covid-19 infections from reinfection, regardless of whether they had mild or severe Covid-19 infections.
Three months ago, Valentine even tried to draw comparisons between hospital workers who had to indicate their Covid-19 vaccination status on their work ID badges with Jews forced to wear yellow stars in Nazi Germany. That vaccination status indication on hospital worker IDs is common and is made for other vaccines, including the seasonal flu.

On June 20, he even wrote and performed a parody song called "Vaxman" in which he again used it to push an anti-vaccine agenda.

CNN reached out to Valentine and his radio station but did not receive a response.

Ah the Schadenfreude . . .
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I am located about 1.5 miles off I95, half way between Balltimore and Philly. I was using the facilities at "Christiana Care" which is a large regional complex with satellite facilities all over Delaware. In Wilmington, DE where I was, it is three main buildings 8 stories tall, one each Ob-Gyn, General medical, and Cardiac. Another building across the parking lot of 4 stories for Oncology. And yet another large building with just Doc offices.

I was describng my experience the last week of Feb and then into March. My main point is that: "here it was pretty much locked down from the middle of March 2020" " Pretty much" is useless. "Almost sterile' equipment is not sterile at all. Almost quarantine is no protection. Why were anything beyond emergency vehicles on the road in March? Why were passenger airplanes flying at all? Those planes were a major vector for world wide desemination of AIDS, Ebola, SARS--and Covid-19. Anybody with a smidgen of communicable disease training could see this coming just from reading or listening to main stream news media back in January. The experts should have seen it in December. Any body want to total up the number of human beings who traveled between USofA and the area of China where this was first reported, during the months of December and January?

Among the leadership of nearly every nation was near universal acceptance of the tactics of the Ostrich--bury your head in the sand and hope somebody else will fix it, or just wait for it to go away. Two weeks ago one who should know said to me when the President of Haiti was killed, that less than o.1% of the population of that country had been vaccinated

snailgate
Last edited by Burning Petard on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

ImageImage
ImageImage
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Bravo Macron!
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Screenshot (147).png

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Poor zombies! They just wanted some brains to eat...who knew a few brains cells would be so hard to find?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Econoline wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:38 am
...who knew a few brains cells would be so hard to find?
Probably because The Walking Dead takes place in Georgia....

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And many states have now enacted laws which forbid any kind of COVID vaccination passport. From US News.com:
As inoculations against COVID-19 continue across the country, more governors and state legislatures are taking action to prevent vaccination from being a requirement to access certain goods and services.

The concept, broadly referred to as "vaccine passports," provides proof of vaccination for activities such as traveling or attending concerts. Americans' level of support for the idea varies by activity, according to a May 7 Gallup survey. A majority of respondents favor mandated vaccination certification for airplane travel (57%) and attendance at crowded events, such as concerts or sports (55%). But a majority of those surveyed also oppose proving inoculation status to go to one's workplace, stay at a hotel or dine indoors at a restaurant.

This is not a state or even a national issue: it's international. For years I had a certificate with my passport listing my yellow fever and IIRC ptomaine and probably smallpox polio vaccinations. We need Biden to get off the pot and issue a federal certificate that anyone can get regardless of their state's posturing.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Back in the old days, they were called "vaccination records" and yes, you had to present them as proof of vaccination in many settings.

But the death cult will get its way...

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Screenshot (148).png
Screenshot (148).png (123.88 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Should read the replies, the moron gets deliciously skewered.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

masks vs open carry.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Our county is requesting that everyone wear masks indoors. When you read the reasons, it all boils down to one thing -- everyone is being asked to mask up again indoors because a minority have not and/or refuse to get vaccinated. With minimal bumps in the number of cases and hospitalizations, this is a hard sell. We'll see if the warnings about the possible surge in cases in the fall change that.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Those “minimum bumps” depend where you live. Given the vaccination rates here I’m surprised they aren’t worse. Then again surges tend to start out slow.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Long Run wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:44 am
Our county is requesting that everyone wear masks indoors. When you read the reasons, it all boils down to one thing -- everyone is being asked to mask up again indoors because a minority have not and/or refuse to get vaccinated. With minimal bumps in the number of cases and hospitalizations, this is a hard sell. We'll see if the warnings about the possible surge in cases in the fall change that.
It isn’t a minority.
As of 6 a.m. EDT July 26, a total of 163,173,366 Americans had been fully vaccinated, or 49.1 percent of the country's population, according to the CDC's data.
That’s the national figure but of course in far too many states the rate of vaccination is well below 1/2 of the eligible population. Alabama I believe has only ~30% vaccination rate.

It really is shocking and sickening that we are heading into a fourth wave that is likely to kill tens of thousands of citizens and every single one of those deaths preventable. The age of the hospitalized has fallen significantly - medical personnel are reporting the majority are in the late teens to 40s age group because that is where the vaccine is being largely rebuffed.

More orphans in the making in the weeks ahead, and how long before is starts killing more and more children, too? Will the idiots get vaccinated THEN?

It is hard to refrain from seething anger.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I don't disagree with your post, BSG - except that, in the spirit of pedantry, nationally 163 million is a majority of the eligible population.

Per CDC it is not yet approved for children under 12. According to USA Facts (2019) there are 65 million children under 15 (best I could do with a quick Google) so in fact although there are way way way too many unvaccinated adults, it is once again the tyranny of the minority. Not unlike the Trump years and, in fact, the last 30 years wherein we have had precisely one presidential election in which a majority of the population voted R vs seven in which a majority voted D, but we have a SCOTUS which is 2/3 conservative. This in a country which likes to call itself the bastion of democracy.

Other than that relatively minor point I am in total agreement with your post.