Now that would be clever; a liberal government would

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Now that would be clever; a liberal government would

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Just one of the "highly dangerous" guns turned in today at the Minneapolis gun "buyback" event.
The owner of this homemade shotgun received a $100 gift card.
A piece of plumbing pipe, duct tape, and a block of wood.  And I don't see any way to make it fire.
This ain't a gun; it's two-thirds of a pipe bomb on a wooden holder.
I don't doubt that it's "highly dangerous".  The question is, dangerous to whom?

I suggest that they should have taken this 'gun' and the owner to the closest range and made him demonstrate that the 'weapon' actually would fire successfully.  Two rounds would have been sufficient.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Anyone who seriously buys into this anti-buyback propaganda is just foolish.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:42 am
liberty wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:24 am
Take a look at this:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ca ... M%3DVDVVXX
That guy is an idiot. No eye protection, apron or gloves. He must be a right wing white supremacist.
I agree about that, but the point of the video is not safety but to point out to you that this stuff is not rocket science. I realize to some of you that have no tool skills, it might seem like magic but is not magic.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Scooter wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:32 am
Those last three photos were not taken at the location of the buyback. They were taken in someone's basement by someone claiming they turned it in to the buyback.

So thanks for proving my point. Someone claimed they turned in those weapons, but no actual proof they did so.
Put down that goal post before you strain something.

And maybe READ the links.
Last edited by Jarlaxle on Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:07 am
Just one of the "highly dangerous" guns turned in today at the Minneapolis gun "buyback" event.
A piece of plumbing pipe, duct tape, and a block of wood.  And I don't see any way to make it fire.
I don't doubt that it's "highly dangerous".  The question is, dangerous to whom?

I suggest that they should have taken this 'gun' and the owner to the closest range and made him demonstrate that the 'weapon' actually would fire successfully.  Two rounds would have been sufficient.
-"BB"-
Nail in the pipe-hence, slam fire. I'd shoot it with appropriate loads.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:07 am

-"BB"-

The thing is fired by placing a nail in the hole in the wood behind the pipe and ramming it forward.

You might enjoy this:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ma ... ORM=VDQVAP

https://www.guns.com/news/2013/06/12/ho ... -35-photos
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

I am sorry, nothing personal; I mean no insult, and I can see the good intentions, but it is a silly idea because it has become a joke. Look at the crap the police have bought, and then tell me how many lives you think the program has saved. This money could be more effectively spent on police overtime or to pay informants.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:40 pm

I read them. You clearly didn't, at least not critically.
The Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, a state-based gun rights groups, announced on its Facebook page that a man had been paid $100 in gift certificates for a makeshift shotgun at the event.
When his home town of Columbia, missouri offered $100 per firearm at their Gift 4 Gun Exchange buyback, Royal Nonesuch just had to participate.

“I don’t have too much time or energy invested in any of these guns,” he says before selling three homemade weapons for a quick $300.
So exactly as I stated, people who constructed these weapons claiming that they are functional and claiming that they sold them at a buyback. Absolutely zero verification that either claim was true. Like, say, a picture of them actually turning them in at the buyback. Or a statement from police confirming that they paid money for them. Neither of which appears in any of the links you provided.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

But even if they did, so what? These programs do get some guns off the street, and and additional $300 is a pretty minimal cost for the benefit, especially when you consider how much other law enforcement expenses not yielding similar results arer. If there are a large amount of the guns being turned in, I imagine the programs could easily be modified to exclude them, much as replica ant toy guns are excluded.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Scooter wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:44 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:40 pm

I read them. You clearly didn't, at least not critically.
The Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus, a state-based gun rights groups, announced on its Facebook page that a man had been paid $100 in gift certificates for a makeshift shotgun at the event.
When his home town of Columbia, missouri offered $100 per firearm at their Gift 4 Gun Exchange buyback, Royal Nonesuch just had to participate.

“I don’t have too much time or energy invested in any of these guns,” he says before selling three homemade weapons for a quick $300.
So exactly as I stated, people who constructed these weapons claiming that they are functional and claiming that they sold them at a buyback. Absolutely zero verification that either claim was true. Like, say, a picture of them actually turning them in at the buyback. Or a statement from police confirming that they paid money for them. Neither of which appears in any of the links you provided.
Look, I get it...you NEED to be correct here, or your world will come crashing down. As such, nothing will be good enough,you'll ALWAYS drag that goal post a little further.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I'm just reacting to the "evidence" YOU presented, claiming it proved that police paid money for these items. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know. Maybe you can point to something in there, other than the word of someone claiming to have done it, that proves it to be so.

Can you do that?

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Give it up Scooter, you'll never get that. Indeed, I doubt such evidence exists.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Probably not. Then don't say
Jarlaxle wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:48 pm
I've seen the pictures of them turned in.
and then show photos taken in somebody's basement as if that's supposed to prove anything.

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Scooter wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:58 pm
I'm just reacting to the "evidence" YOU presented, claiming it proved that police paid money for these items. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know. Maybe you can point to something in there, other than the word of someone claiming to have done it, that proves it to be so.

Can you do that?
First image I posted!

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

My uncle is waiting for a "buyback"...he will turn in an old Marlin rifle, with a bad barrel and cracked stock. (It sold new in the late 70s for <$20.)

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Some programs require that the guns bought back be operational. Nevertheless, a $20 DIY slam-fire gun could take a life or cause several orders of magnitude more in damage. Any worthwhile social program from Medicare to COVID bailouts to tobacco money to VA hospitals will attract those who seek to make a buck out of it - it's the way of the world, or at least this little corner of it.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

He might also wait outside with a wad of cash and offer twice what the buyback does for good guns. If so, my wife says she'll buy the first nice Hi Power he gets.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Big RR wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:06 pm
But even if they did, so what? These programs do get some guns off the street, and and additional $300 is a pretty minimal cost for the benefit, especially when you consider how much other law enforcement expenses not yielding similar results arer. If there are a large amount of the guns being turned in, I imagine the programs could easily be modified to exclude them, much as replica ant toy guns are excluded.

The kind of people who would turn in a gun is not the kind of people likely to use the weapon to commit a crime if you want to take dangerous firearms off the streets, do stop and frisk, or something like that.

liberty

Post by liberty »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:46 am
Some programs require that the guns bought back be operational. Nevertheless, a $20 DIY slam-fire gun could take a life or cause several orders of magnitude more in damage. Any worthwhile social program from Medicare to COVID bailouts to tobacco money to VA hospitals will attract those who seek to make a buck out of it - it's the way of the world, or at least this little corner of it.
That is true, But I can’t see one used in a mass shooting unless the shooter pulls along a little red wagon filled with slam guns.