No.  Just... No.

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
BoSoxGal

Re: No.  Just... No.

Post by BoSoxGal »

Oh and there is nothing that ruins a good film or television show quite so much as dubbing! Dubbing is so awful it would be better not to see a show/film than to see it dubbed, in my opinion.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Well, that's where we differ; I avoid dubbing, but prefer ti to not seeing the movie--especially if the director oversees the dubbing (sometimes with the same actors). We all have our own idiosyncrasies. But I do agree, there are some films that are horrendously dubbed, and subtitles are always the better way to watch foreign language films (especially if the titles are at the bottom of the picture (or, better, below) and boxed against a white background).

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Though watching endless reruns of Cannon dubbed in Japanese can have a zen meditation effect.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I would think Columbo might even be better; maybe Perry Mason too. :lol:

And, FWIW, if you want to see a pretty good dubbed spoof, one of Woody Allen's earlier films was a dubbed Japanese (or possibly a Chinese) spy movie, where the dubbing had little to do with the movie at all, called What's Up tiger Lily. A lot of fun for a silly comedy.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

CNN seem to like the new Wonder Years. I can see the point if at least some of the purpose might be to highlight the differences between how a typical White family and a typical Black family (if such things exist) might experience the same things differently. Fred Savage was good as the kid: I have no idea how he might do as a director.

In passing I did see this in the same CNN piece:
Both this show and "Doogie Kamealoha, M.D." have also nailed the casting of their youthful leads, no small feat with such exercises, with Williams capturing the mix of naivete and awakening that's key to coming-of-age fare.
I possibly watched one of those (I'm assuming but don't know that Doogie is a hint to its provenance) but this really would be a No. Just . . . . No.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Lahela "Doogie" Kameāloha is a teenaged wunderkind juggling her high school life and family with an early medical career. As well as having to deal with balancing her relationship with her mother, who is also her boss. The series is not a direct continuation of Doogie Howser, M.D.; rather, the characters acknowledge that series as a television show and give Lahela the nickname "Doogie" in reference to it.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Big RR wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:54 pm
I would think Columbo might even be better; maybe Perry Mason too. :lol:
No doubt, but I have only my anecdotal experience since I have not seen any studies on this.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Sorry, I didn't mean to spread unsubstantiated information.

liberty

Post by liberty »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:41 am
And our knickers are supposed to be in a twist because . . . ? :shrug
Yes, but what if it had been a black story adapted to be played by all white actors. I suspect the outrage would be tremendous, perhaps even with threats of violence. There would be charges of cultural appropriation. Do you remember a few years ago the remake of the movie exodus? There was outrage from the black community because the Egyptians were not shown to be black Africans. There was a strong belief in the black community that the ancient Egyptians were black people, and the American blacks were the descendants of the Egyptians. But then, in 2017, a DNA test was done on ancient Egyptian mummies that proved the Egyptians were not a majority-black nation. They were more closely related to eastern Europeans than sub-Saharan Africans. And still, there are American blacks claiming that ancient Egypt was a black nation. If the culture of blacks can be appropriated, shouldn’t the same apply to whites?
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:09 pm
Oh and there is nothing that ruins a good film or television show quite so much as dubbing! Dubbing is so awful it would be better not to see a show/film than to see it dubbed, in my opinion.
I liked Professor T, and it was in a furian language with subtitles. I like the Flemish version over the English version.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I wasn't an avid watcher of the original, probably didn't watch more than 10 or so episodes over the run. But the first episode was pretty good, a good balance of kids worried about kid stuff with just a whiff of the racial issues of the period, consistent with what a preteen might experience from their perspective.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown