Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Gob

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by Gob »

Parents have served a 'cease and desist' legal notice on a school threatening to sue and potentially pursue GBH charges - if children are given Covid jabs without parental consent.

The 17 parents of children in years seven, eight and nine at Tretherras School, in Newquay, Cornwall, have signed the letter.

This autumn all children aged 12 to 15 years are being offered the first dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, and government guidance says parents are 'asked for consent'.

But if it is refused and the child is deemed 'competent' then 'the parent cannot overrule the decision' and the child can 'legally give consent'.

But parents at the Cornish school have hit back with a legal letter to the head, year leaders, safeguarding team and governors.

The collective believe their kids should not be given the vaccine because clinical trails are ongoing and there is a 'lack of long term data'.

The notice says they want the school to promise not to use Gillick Competency on kids under 16 - where a child is considered competent in making an informed personal decision without parental consent.

The parents want the school to confirm it won't vaccinate kids without parental consent, and the date of any proposed jabs.

It threatens to sue if the school 'fails to satisfy my concerns', in the letter dated September 26.

The legal letter also said they will 'bring a case of harassment and emotional harm' against the school should 'further harassment by school staff of our children regarding the wearing of masks'.

A parent who signed the letter, and has a 13-year-old boy at the school, said: 'We decided as a group that our children don't need the jab.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Is it routine for schools to vaccinate kids above a certain age without parental consent if they choose to be vaccinated? If so, I see no reason to treat covid vaccines differently. When I was in high school, I recall a young lady who was a christian scientist (or t lest she attended their services); she chose to be vaccinated over her parent's objections (it is my understanding that christian scientists reject most medical intervention, including vaccines) and the school helped her get one (our schools did not generally give vaccines) and did not (one her request) inform her parents. Not sure what deliberations the school went through before doing this, but this makes sense to me (as does exempting the few students who have genuine religious objections to vaccines (and not just an objection one particular vaccine)) from the school's vaccine requirement.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Healthcare staff can decide whether children get a Covid vaccine against the wishes of their parents, according to government guidelines published on Wednesday that left some headteachers fearing protests at the school gates.

The guidelines say vaccinations for children aged 12 to 15 will be administered by School Age Immunisation Service (SAIS) teams that already carry out flu and human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccinations in England. The role of schools will be limited to providing a site and distributing information and consent forms to pupils and parents.

In cases where parents withhold consent but the child wants to go ahead, the guidelines say the vaccination teams will determine if the child is able to make an informed decision – known as Gillick competence – and “make every effort to contact a parent to check before they proceed”.

“If a parent objects to their child being vaccinated but the child wants to be vaccinated and is judged to be Gillick competent, the healthcare professional will try to reach agreement between the parent and child. However, the parent cannot overrule the decision of a Gillick competent child,” the guidelines state. In that scenario the child will be vaccinated.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... hools-told
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That appears to make sense; children are not chattel owned by their parents, but independent beings who can make their own choices, especially re medical treatment and intervention (of course the courts here, and I'd bet in the UK, don't always treat them that way).

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

For the record, as I wrote earlier in this thread I got the 3rd vaccination (Pfizer booster) Thursday afternoon. I was fine until about 2 AM Friday. My jabbed arm got very sore but the worst part was I had a burning headache that lasted until about 4 PM Friday.

For the record, the "pre-vaccination" information that I read after I received the shot said you should drink at least 16 ounces of water before being vaccinated. I wonder if it would have helped.

Also, I wish I could get a good explanation for why some people get a reaction. Am I supposed to accept that I felt bad because the vaccination was "doing its job".

What job was it doing?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Most people walk around chronically dehydrated, so it’s always wise to consume extra water before any vaccination or before giving blood or with taking any medication (unless specifically contraindicated) as it can only help your kidneys in doing their job. Most headache - including migraine - can be alleviated by proper hydration.

And no, the reaction is not proof the vaccine is doing its job. As I recall (I could be making this up?), only about 1/3 of people have any significant reaction to the vaccine - but the vaccine is highly effective in most, with the exception of the significantly immune compromised.

Here’s an interesting article about the vaccine side effects - it mentions a group followed at Johns Hopkins where only 5% of people had side effects from the first jab but over 40% had side effects from the second one. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articl ... de-effects
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:23 am

What job was it doing?
Encouraging your antibodies to attack it, and build up resistance.

(The pain is a distraction to allow Bill Gates to program you for 5G.)

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Gob wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:00 am
(The pain is a distraction to allow Bill Gates to program you for 5G.)
If anybody intends to monitor my life via 5G — or anything else, for that matter — they're gonna die of sheer boredom.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

dales

Post by dales »

I recall the one and only time I tried the McRib.

I got sick to my stomach and had the the dry heaves.

Prolly just like getting COVID?

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

dales wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:21 am
I recall the one and only time I tried the McRib.

I got sick to my stomach and had the the dry heaves.

Prolly just like getting COVID?
If there had been a COVID vaccine back then and you were vaccinated, you probably would have been sick for less time.

According to Wikipedia: "The McRib consists of a restructured boneless pork patty shaped like a miniature rack of ribs, barbecue sauce, onions, and pickles, served as a sandwich on a 5½ inch (14 cm) roll."

Restructured pork patty. It sounds yummy and so much better than unrestructured pork.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Northern Rivers Vaccination Supporters

10 h ·
CHOICES HAVE CONSEQUENCES

Discrimination and segregation are forms of oppression against groups of people who have NO CHOICE - they are being oppressed because of their skin colour, gender, sexuality etc.

Choosing to not get a vaccine is a CHOICE.

It is a choice that has consequences.

Using words like discrimination is an attempt to evoke empathy/sympathy and belittles/minimizes the very real harm done to people who are real victims of discrimination and segregation and oppression.

In the same way, appropriating “my body my choice” is offensive to people who have fought for women’s reproductive rights.
Using emotive language that has been so important in fights for equality and justice to garner sympathy for a decision that puts others at risk is pretty revolting. It also smacks of privilege and a failure to recognize what oppression actually is.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

And there is the Southwest "slow down" by pilots who are opposed to mandatory vaccination. Both the company and pilots association are pointing to other factors that don't add up. Many gate employees are disclosing the non-secret. Seriously screwing up air travel, though I wouldn't put this in the Atlas Shrugged category.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Good to know that so many pilots for Southwest are total idiots - I’ll scratch them off my future airlines list.

United Airlines has already achieved nearly universal vaccination among its almost 67,000 employees - pilots and far beyond. Something to keep in mind when deciding where to book your next flight.

Delta Airlines has no mandate, but is charging unvaccinated workers a $200/month health insurance surcharge. They’ve achieved an 82% vaccination rate as of late September.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

My friend who’s husband died of COVID the other week died herself on Friday.

Fuck anyone who refuses the vaccine; they are useless, selfish bastards and don’t deserve citizenship in this country or probably even the right to live. Get the fuck over yourselves.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

My sentiments exactly.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Guinevere wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:11 am

Fuck anyone who refuses the vaccine; they are useless, selfish bastards and don’t deserve citizenship in this country or probably even the right to live. Get the fuck over yourselves.
I’m so sorry to hear that! Did she experience a return of the virus, or was it broken heart syndrome?

Deepest condolences on your loss.

I’m in a state of near constant fury at the antivaxxers/antimaskers for their role in so much unnecessary loss of life.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Guinevere wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:11 am

That really sucks, Guin.
If you need a soft shoulder, a pat on the back, or just someone to sound off to, we're here for you.
-"BB"-

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Guin - I'm truly sorry for the loss you have encountered especially at the hands of this virus that we have a way to fight and people have chosen not to.

I have in-laws who have refused the vaccine. Their adult daughter just got out of the hospital from a COVID visit. They other day they had a discussion along the lines of, "I think it's time to consider getting vaccinated". This side of the family is definitely part of the group that puts the "dumb" in freedom.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I returned home monday from a weekend in Dallas with a TAPS seminar for survivors of suicide. This was my first venture beyond about five miles from home since March of 2020.

I arrived at the baggage carousel about 1100pm Monday nite,(about four hours behind schedule.) After an hour, my bag had still not turned up so I joined a line to pursue lost luggage. Waited in line for another half hour to talk to a human being (no computer alternative) In less than three minutes I learned that my bag was waiting for me over next to the wall at the carousel where I had been waiting. My bag was loaded onto an earlier flight and hit Baltimore before I ever left Dallas. The situation at Love field in Dallas was nearly chaotic. Once I actually got to the gate waiting room it was all peaceful and calm. Customers and the staff had few temper flare-ups. There were several bars near the gate and they were very busy. On the plane no ethanol beverages permitted, even if you bring your own. My actual flight started in Los Angeles, then to Dallas, then Charlotte, NC, then Baltimore and finally to some city in Florida. The plane was full all the way. At each stop it was like a subway stop--people struggling to get on while others struggled to get off.

In case any body wonders what is TAPS, it is worth looking into. The humane and human touch is prominent at every level of the organization.
https://www.taps.org

snailgate