Getting vaccinated

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Big RR

Re: Getting vaccinated

Post by Big RR »

While I understand the sentiment, I have some very close friends and family who have chosen not to be vaccinated, including a niece who is almost like a daughter to me. I have discussed my view with them and they have chosen not to vaccinate regardless of it. I really don't want to see any of them suffer and/or die, but they have made their choice. I will grieve greatly if anything happens to any of them, but there are things I can change and things I cannot, and this is one of those in the latter group.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

When I said fuck them, it was specifically the nasty antivaxxers who aren’t satisfied just refusing the vaccine, they have to attack others and call them sheep and tell them the vaccine poison is going to kill them soon. Those people can just get fucked and I have zero sympathy if they get covid19 and get seriously ill or dead. My sympathies at this point are reserved for medical staff working the covid19 death wards and vaccinated people who are still at seriously high risk thanks to other health issues that render the vaccine less effective.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

That's what I figured; while I have seen them on the news, I happily haven't come across them (Just like I haven't come across many rabid anti-maskers or pro maskers either). But FWIW, I have little sympathy for any of the non vaccinated; they made their choice and they'll have to live with it (just like the 440 lb man who has a heart attack or the person who ignores his/her high blood pressure.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

My wife got the booster today. So that makes my whole family up to the latest 5G chip.

*posted from my right butt cheek*

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Don't forget the forced sterilization.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I was told that it would change my menstrual cycle. Haven't noticed anything yet.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Give it time; you may have to start buying extra absorbent tampons.

Gob

Post by Gob »

unnamed.jpg
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Big RR wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:43 pm
While I understand the sentiment, I have some very close friends and family who have chosen not to be vaccinated, including a niece who is almost like a daughter to me. I have discussed my view with them and they have chosen not to vaccinate regardless of it. I really don't want to see any of them suffer and/or die, but they have made their choice. I will grieve greatly if anything happens to any of them, but there are things I can change and things I cannot, and this is one of those in the latter group.
Unfortunately it is not just their choice. My friends died because someone who wasn’t vaxxed passed the disease on to them. So yes, fuck the unvaxxed (which includes some of my family who I love dearly but are not welcome at Thanksgiving because we are protecting the vulnerable among us (senior family members)).

Got my booster last week, shingles and flu shots 2 weeks prior. No major reactions to any. I may be a sheep, but I’m a healthy one, and I shouldn’t make anyone else sick, either :mrgreen:

PS - I’ve been writing mandatory vax policies for clients, bargaining over implementation, and possibly litigating same. We shall see, but I have zero sympathy for the complainers …
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Gob

Post by Gob »

Covid-19 is no longer a disease of the vaccinated, the head of the Oxford jab programme has said.

The “ongoing horror” of patients gasping for breath in hospital is now “largely restricted” to people who are unvaccinated, according to Prof Sir Andrew Pollard.

Even though the more transmissible Delta variant continues to infect thousands, most of those who are fully vaccinated will experience only “mild infections” that are “little more than an unpleasant inconvenience”.

Writing for the Guardian, Pollard said: “Among the general public, the pandemic is still regarded as a silent pestilence, made visible in the images of patients fighting for their next breath … This ongoing horror, which is taking place across ICUs in Britain, is now largely restricted to unvaccinated people.

“Generally, Covid-19 is no longer a disease of the vaccinated; vaccines tend to limit its suffocating affliction, with a few exceptions.”

Scientists are hopeful that the booster jabs rollout and immunity from the summertime spread of the Delta variant should help the UK escape the surge in infections seen in parts of Europe.

The UK, which saw measures eased in the summer and has higher vaccination levels than some European countries, will probably not be hit as hard, Pollard said. “In countries with lower vaccination rates, the impact of the current wave in hospital ICUs will be far worse than in Britain.”

However, Pollard, one of those behind the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, said Covid would still pile pressure on the NHS this winter – with unvaccinated patients requiring intensive care and double-jabbed patients who are older and frail still at risk of “life-threatening” health issues.

“The latest wave of the virus in the UK, which is now rising rapidly in parts of Europe, will directly translate into a stream of mostly unvaccinated patients entering ICU,” he said in the article jointly authored with Prof Brian Angus, professor of infectious disease at the University of Oxford. “To prevent serious illness, these people need first and second doses of the vaccine as soon as possible.

“For those of us fortunate enough to have already been vaccinated, the story now seems very different. For most vaccinated individuals, these mild infections are little more than an unpleasant inconvenience.”

But for those who are very frail, immunocompromised or have underlying health conditions, Pollard and Angus said, Covid infections can still be “enough to destabilise them” and cause “serious, life-threatening health problems that add to the pressure on the NHS”.

Prof Peter Openshaw, of the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag), told BBC Breakfast on Monday he was pleased that the UK could currently avoid measures being introduced in Europe.

However, he added: “I am concerned that we do have really quite high levels of transmission in the UK. My personal preference would be that we should really try to get these rates down – we know that masks do work … because there are people who are unvaccinated for various reasons, and we do need to try and reduce the level of circulation of the virus, as well as getting up vaccination rates.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -scientist
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

It's coming up on a year since I lost Katie Barefoot to complications from COVID, and it pisses me off all the more that this disease hasn't been controlled as thoroughly as polio or smallpox by now.

At this time, I double down on my original post concerning the Repugnicunts and Trumpanzees who literally did nothing but stonewall and put up smokescreens throughout the first half of 2020, and I extend a pair of middle fingers to anyone else who, six months or more after the roll-out of not just one, not just two, but THREE different vaccines (Moderna, Pfizer, and Johnson & Johnson) here in the good ol' USA, are still throwing tantrums like spoiled two-year-olds about having to take something to protect public health.   Enjoy your Thanksgiving dinners on Thursday, you bunch of flagitious, quisquilian jag-offs — and if there's any justice or karma anywhere in the universe, may it be the last one for a lot of you.

And the REAL problem is that those of them who have the power to do so (like the governors of states like Arizona, Florida, and Texas, among others) are doing all they can to thwart any real efforts by people who believe in science rather than pillow-makers who believe in bullshit to even TRY to bring this under control, up to and including direct refusal to comply with executive orders from the President of the United States by issuing executive orders of their own.

What's the old saying — 'There are none so blind as those who will not see' ?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Guin--I agree; they can and do cause problems for others, especially those who are immunocompromised (it appears breaktthrough infections in the vaccinated are generally not a major problem, although there are exceptions). Happily, it does appear some treatments are on the way which will reduce hospitalizations even more, even in those with compromised immune systems. In the meantime, all they can do is try and protect themselves, which may include wearing N95 masks in public (and avoiding public gatherings as much as possible). It is not a good (or even fair) response, but it is all we have. In addition we have to take steps to protect others as well, being sure we are vaccinated, social distancing/masking, and excluding the unvaccinated from celebration where they may come into contact with people at risk.

Good luck with your writing of policies for your clients; it's pretty sad when businesses have a more rational approach than the government.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:36 pm
Guin--I agree; they can and do cause problems for others, especially those who are immunocompromised (it appears breaktthrough infections in the vaccinated are generally not a major problem, although there are exceptions). Happily, it does appear some treatments are on the way which will reduce hospitalizations even more, even in those with compromised immune systems. In the meantime, all they can do is try and protect themselves, which may include wearing N95 masks in public (and avoiding public gatherings as much as possible). It is not a good (or even fair) response, but it is all we have. In addition we have to take steps to protect others as well, being sure we are vaccinated, social distancing/masking, and excluding the unvaccinated from celebration where they may come into contact with people at risk.

Good luck with your writing of policies for your clients; it's pretty sad when businesses have a more rational approach than the government.
My clients *are* the government…..
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

On the homefront my wife seems to have recovered and is now back to work and no one else seems to have come down with it. But, it seems another of my Wolfe’s aunts have contacted it with a poor prognosis (underlying conditions)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

According to my wife they are about to run out of equipment at her hospital for treating Covid patients.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Crackpot wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:22 pm
According to my wife they are about to run out of equipment at her hospital for treating Covid patients.
:(
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Lovely news about the Nu variant arising in Botswana and which appears to be the worst variant yet; covid19 is not done with us yet but I’m feeling some confidence in the statements from Pfizer and Moderna that they believe they can quickly re-engineer the vaccines for this nastier Nu variant.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

And they'll be singing

"I re-engineer Nu"

(sorry)
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Names and origins a bit confusing

BBC 29 minutes ago
The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared a new coronavirus variant to be "of concern" and named it Omicron. It had a large number of mutations, and early evidence suggested an increased reinfection risk, the WHO said. It was first reported to the WHO from South Africa on 24 November, and has also been identified in Botswana, Belgium, Hong Kong and Israel. A number of countries around the world have now decided to ban or restrict travel to and from southern Africa. Travellers from South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Lesotho and Eswatini will not be able to enter the UK unless they are UK or Irish nationals, or UK residents.
Daily Fail (ca 1665)
Fears are growing about the new Botswana Covid-19 variant which experts believe is the most mutated version of the virus to date. The B.1.1529 strain, which could soon be named Nu, carries 32 mutations of which many are highly transmissible and vaccine resistant. So far, only 10 cases of the strain have been recorded worldwide but it has already been identified in three countries. The first infections were spotted in Botswana, followed by another six cases in South Africa and one in Hong Kong involving a traveller returning from South Africa
What's not in any doubt is that the Rand sank to 16.27 which (for us) is good and bad (ultimately bad). The good is I've just ordered R6600 worth of 95+ point wine (8 bottles) including a Corton Charlemagne and I'll pay the US credit card bill in fewer dollars. Our monthly pension transfers will increase. The bad is obviously that should the Rand not recover, costs in SA will increase, particularly petrol with the usual knock-on to food and consumer goods, leading to more determined union actions. And the ANC will have to increase its corrupt practises just to stay ahead of the game. This is not good news at all for a country with such high unemployment and a huge welfare-supported population (immense) - "social grants" as they are called here. It's what gets the ANC votes, even though it's hopelessly inadequate for the need and far beyond sustainable given the national revenues.

The tourism industry, which hoped December (our summer) would bring some relief will now be having collective heart attacks as the travel bans go up. And my bloody wine order may very likely be deferred until a new Level 3+ lockdown runs its course.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

By sheer coincidence I was ogling a Louis Jadot Corton Charlemagne yesterday ($200 a bottle IIRC) but I thought I was pushing the boat out getting its stablemate Pouilly Fuisse which was $30-something.

On Wednesday I had taken a gamble on 3 bottles of the Georges Duboeuf Beaujolais Nouveau - it's often iffy but this time it was great. By yesterday morning it had all gone the way of much wine over the last two years and I hurried back to the Liquor Barn to get myself a case before hoi polloi snatched it up. Sadly it had all gone and I picked up six bottles of some unknown vintner. I'll let you know.