Zoom You, Fella

There aint half been some clever bastards.
Post science, nature, technology and all geek stuff here.
Methuselah

Zoom You, Fella

Post by Methuselah »

We have a family Zoom session once a week that covers people in three corners of the US. There is a cousin in Hawaii that I’m trying to convince to join. Reasons like we may never see each other again any other way are unpersuasive. His lame reason now is that he uses his computer now (he is terrified of computers) to contact people he worked with in Germany by email, and he doesn’t want to do anything to jeopardize those connections now with all of the turmoil in Europe. I told him that the turmoil is likely to go on for 10 years, but that didn’t change his mind either. One last thing I’ll try is to convince him that he can contact them by Zoom, and converse with them even better. Does anyone know if people in the States can contact people via Zoom in Europe in a routine way, or do you have to pay extra or use a different service? There is a free version that works in the States, and more advanced versions for a small monthly fee. I have trouble getting answers to these questions from the Zoom site.

Burning Petard

Re: Zoom You, Fella

Post by Burning Petard »

Somebody has to be the Host. They take care of the fees. I think it is based on length of the meeting and number of participants. Short meetings with just a few participants are free. After that you only need an email address. Email out to the potential participants the meeting number and the password, and the time/date of the meeting. Each participant needs to download the Zoom ap which is free (at least in Western Europe and USA) Any additional fees are totally from the local email or internet service. I am a participant in several of these kinds of meetings (mostly history academics) from Europe and Asia. The only problem for me is getting on to the distribution list for the discussion or lecture. That seems to be sort of internet word-of-mouth.

snailgate

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

Thanks, Snailgate. I'll let you know if my cousin tries to reach Germany. 'Thuse

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I went to a funeral in Europe by Zoom a few weeks ago. Cost me nothing (clicked on the link they sent me) and as far as I know it was free to the host. If you want the extra bells and whistles costs can be incurred.

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

I'm getting to an age where I am invited to funerals frequently. Some have been on Zoom, but none happened to be out of the U. S.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

You asked the same questions a year and a half ago, and you got multiple (correct) answers. I suggest you do a little search of the site to find those responses.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Methuselah

Post by Methuselah »

Guin, check your Personal Messages. I mean, Private Messages.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

You have to update your settings. I responded in the message and explained what to do.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké