Will Smith Uncensored at the Oscars....

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Scooter

Re: Will Smith Uncensored at the Oscars....

Post by Scooter »

Because no one has ever said that something doesn't bother them when really it's tearing them up inside.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

because I liked my hair out wild and curly. but nobody wanted that. so I always had to do my hairs in ways that didn’t feel natural to me because of trying to play the game.
that's not all that surprising; I liked my hair long (like it was in college), but that didn't fit in with the corporate profile so I had to keep it much shorter than I would have liked. We all do things for the jobs we choose;I'm sure if I worked with Bill Kuntsler (or if I joined Alice Cooper on the road) I could have kept my hair as long as I liked, but that is not what I wanted to do. So it was short hair and three piece suits. This is not just a black woman thing; I think most of us have to fit certain molds due to the work we do (or choose another line of work.

FWIW, it didn't bother me because that's just the way things are.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Except, unlike black women, you didn't have to mutilate your hair with heat and chemicals in order to make it "acceptable" for the job.

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I think I mentioned it earlier but there are these things called 'wigs' that people who work in show business can use instead of messing around with their hair.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

Scooter wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:30 am
Except, unlike black women, you didn't have to mutilate your hair with heat and chemicals in order to make it "acceptable" for the job.
I had absolutely no idea you were so authoritative on the lives of Blacks and women and particularly Black women. Do tell from whence springs your knowledge.

I spent a lot of time in a work environment dominated by Black women. I had to envy the amount of attention they gave themselves in terms of hair and nails. I have always been particularly lazy with respect to the care of either hair or nails. I watched as eyelashes became little mink strips they painstakingly applied. I gave it a try with the magnetic lashes but really could not get the adjustment correctly down thus they were quickly abandoned in a drawer. One day my work friend Jonna shaved her head. I expressed envy that she could wear her hair like that and look decent, actually beautiful, since dark scalps don't show every pimple and spider angioma present as does my pasty hairline. For 2 years I whined to Jonna about my hair, moaning that I was sick of it and that one day I was going to buzz it all off. Six months ago I finally got out the scissors and started cutting off the pony tail that hung well over a foot and a half down my back. I cut cut cut cut and finally went to a stylist and showed her how I wanted the rest of it it cut. It is very short, think the #2 setting in back, but I cannot get any stylist to cut the top that short. I specifically want the bangs left but the rest I want buzzed #2. No stylist I have been to will do it. I guess this week I will go to a barber shop and see if I can get them to do it. Summer is coming and we are headed down to Savannah in about a month and I want no hair to deal with. I may try out for GI Jane the Retirement Years. (Oh and the absolute shock and outrage when I went in to my old work place and showed off my newly shoren locks.)

Meanwhile I am in the camp that the whole thing looked staged. They are all actors and it looked like they took on their roles with relish.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

As Will Smith has now said, and FINALLY apologized to Chris Rock, violence is just not okay no matter how hurt our feelings are.

Look at Putin’s invasion of Ukraine - it is all a lashing out of hurt feelings over imagined injustices done to a boy unloved and bullied in his youth and still angry and hurt about it 5, 6, 7 decades later.

More people than not are hurt in their childhood and carry trauma triggers inside them and have loved ones they’d like to defend from any unkindness in this world. Do they all get to engage in violent acts of revenge? What a lovely world that will be.

I don’t doubt that Jada has a lot of pain mixed in with the pride of her beauty as she looks with alopecia. But her pain over her life limiting chronic illness, which she shares with millions of her fellow citizens, doesn’t give her the right to a personal bully to beat on anyone who hurts her feelings.

Sorry but the more I think about this whole episode the more sickened I am by it and the more disgusted with tbn Smith clan. I even had the thought today that I’m glad Sidney Poitier recently passed away so he never had to see the antics of the most recent black actor Oscar winner. Poitier dedicated his entire career to living beyond reproach to be a true river to his people in the work and in life.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Scooter wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:18 pm
But please stop referring to Rock's dig as a "nothing joke". Black women's hair is tied inexorably to their identity and to their experience of discrimination.
So black people and their natural hair has been discriminated against.  Let me ask you ... in what corner of your little world is something like this (they're called 'Bantu knots', btw) — or dreadlocks, or multiple box-braids, or the "Sideshow Bob" look —

Image            Image

— considered to be 'natural' hair?

Natural hair is what your hair looks like when you get up out of bed in the morning.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:39 am

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Bloody laughable, talk about handbags at dawn.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Oscar slap.jpg
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Scooter wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:30 am
Me? No, you're correct. But then I have many friends (white males) who use lots of chemicals in their hair to appear younger (and, in some cases, still employable). Tons of creams and liquids (not to mention pills) to address baldness, relaxers to get rid of curly/unrulyi hair, volumizers to hide thinning hair, not to mention dyes to cover the white/gray hair that might reveal their age (and make them less desirable employees). This treadmill is common to many, regardless of gender or race.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Meanwhile I am in the camp that the whole thing looked staged. They are all actors and it looked like they took on their roles with relish.
I tend to agree, but it wouldn't shock me if it was not staged. Many actors (and sports figures for that matter), including Smith, tend to start believing their own bull and thinking that the ordinary rules don't apply to them because they are so special. I've been to comedy clubs where one of us in our group was singled out to be the butt of a joke, and I would never think of hitting the comedian, but these "special" people think they can do what they damn well please. And in many cases, the crappier/less talented the entertainer, the bigger the chip on their shoulder (look at Trump).

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It was not staged. I don’t understand how anyone could think that considering the totality of the circumstances.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Why not? Look at the publicity they got. According to some, there's no bad publicity.

I don't know any of those involved, so I really can't say whether it was staged or not, but it wouldn't shock me if it were (indeed, even if it were not, I think Smith's tearful, incherent acceptance speech was staged) I don't know what "circumstances" you are considering that makes you conclude it was not or could not have been staged. So far as I can see, the three participants ar getting a lot of publicity online, Rock's upcoming shows are being sold out with demand for additional ones, and no one has suffered any negative consequences. I'll be Will and Jada will both get new films in the near future, and this exposure will help sell tickets.

I am not saying it was definitely staged, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if it were.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Right. It was staged and Will Smith doesn’t have an anger problem.

By the way, Chris Rock is playing Boston this week. The shows were already sold out, so the only folks making money off his shows now are scalpers selling $46 tickets for $300 and $400 apiece.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Does Smith have an anger problem? Maybe; I'm not sure but he well may. Or he just thinks that appearing to have such a problem helps the personna he is trying to sell; people have made careers doing just this. But, face it, even a jerk can stage something if he thinks (or is told) it is in his interest.

As for Rock, if I get a chance, I'll see if I can find the article, but the thing I read said his shows are selling out (and, as you pointed out, it is reseller's bonanza). But, either way, what do you bet his next tour will have much higher prices (and more profits for him).

Face it, Smith wants to portray himself as the "protector" of all those women who cannot protect themselves; you know, like he said in his acceptance speech. And he may well think appearing to have a hair-trigger temper. temper helps him in this regard. He was using the attack to polish his image as the great "protector"; that doesn't seems to be something he just came up with. And FWIW, I would have liked to have heard one of those mentioned as being protected by him to say, "Screw you; I'll protect myself."
Last edited by Big RR on Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:22 pm
And FWIW, I would have liked to have heard one of those mentions as being protected by him to say, "Screw you; I'll protect myself."
The Williams family did issue a statement decrying Smith’s violence.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

This all reminded me of an incident years ago. We were in Cyprus (the Greek side) and my wife (whom I adore) decided she needed a haircut. We don't speak any Greek but how hard can this be? Hair is hair. She had in those days what was called a razor cut. (I don't know if it's still a thing.) OK I don't know the Greek for razor cut and the young lady at the salon had no English. So my wife mimed a razor. Easy enough. The young lady understood but her reaction was obviously 'Are you sure about that? No, no, no.' Thumbs up from my wife.

I was watching this from a chair. I'd been living in the Middle East for long enough that although my pidgin Arabic was usually good enough to get to where I wanted, sign language and miming was very much a skill set. And I managed to jump in before the hairdresser got out a razor to shave my wife down to the scalp.

Oh how we laughed.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:39 pm
Big RR wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:22 pm
And FWIW, I would have liked to have heard one of those mentions as being protected by him to say, "Screw you; I'll protect myself."
The Williams family did issue a statement decrying Smith’s violence.
Well of course they did.   That's almost always going to be the case, just like there's almost always going to be someone sending "thoughts and prayers" for the affected people in the case of a natural disaster or other tragedy, like the 9/11 attacks, the latest mass shooting incident, or Putin's operations in Ukraine.  Very few people, Trump and his supporters notwithstanding, will EVER say violence in response to a tasteless joke or even a verbal slur is OK.

And frankly, other than the fact that Smith had recently played the Williams family patriarch in a biopic, what did they have to do with any of it?  Why did they feel the need to weigh in on this?  What concern was it to them?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?