Bruce hangs up his vest

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Gob

Bruce hangs up his vest

Post by Gob »

Bruce Willis will step away from his acting career after being diagnosed with aphasia, a condition that impedes a person's ability to speak and write.

The actor's family, including his wife Emma Heming-Willis and ex-wife Demi Moore, announced his condition on Instagram on Wednesday.

Aphasia is "impacting his cognitive abilities", the statement said.

Willis, 67, is best known for playing John McClane in the Die Hard films, which made him a star.

"With much consideration Bruce is stepping away from the career that has meant so much to him," his family wrote in a joint statement. "This is a really challenging time for our family and we are so appreciative of your continued love, compassion and support."

Willis has five daughters, three with Ms Moore and two with Ms Heming-Willis.
What is aphasia?
It's when a person has difficulty with their language or speech
Usually caused by damage to the left side of the brain, like a stroke
Hampers reading, listening, speaking, typing or writing
Speaking problems are most common and can involve putting words together incorrectly
Source: National Health Service

His acting career began in the early 1980s but he did not become a household name until later in that decade - first after starring opposite Cybill Shepherd in the ABC TV series Moonlighting and then in his 1988 performance as John McClane in the first Die Hard film.

Since then, his films including The Sixth Sense, Armageddon and Pulp Fiction have grossed more than $5bn worldwide, according to Variety. He's been nominated for five Golden Globes, winning one for Moonlighting, and three Emmys, winning two.

Several actors and other stars offered their condolences to Willis and his family following the news.

"Grace and guts! Love to you all!" actress Jamie Lee Curtis wrote in response to Demi Moore's post.

"Sending lots of love and healing to you all!" wrote journalist Katie Couric.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Re: Bruce hangs up his vest

Post by Big RR »

He's not a favorite of mine (although I did like a few of his films), but I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I wish him and hsi family the best as well.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

He is young to be dealing with this. Sad.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I hope it’s a symptom of something else going on and not a case of primary progressive aphasia which is the first manifestation of a form of frontotemporal dementia.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Aphasia is awful. My grandfather lived with it for the last 18 years of his life after falling and crushing his skull. It was near total aphasia at first, but after months of rehab and surgeries he was able to communicate well enough. In his case he lost nearly 1/4 of his brain, so even that was amazing. His frustration was the worst part, since he was fully aware.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Sad news. My uncle must have something akin to it, though he can still manage to write notes. All these progressive and debilitating things are horrendous for the person and the family. From my cousin:

Communication is limited to grunts and writing notes…. In capitals if he’s frustrated or shouting. Walking is limited and now aided by a hospital style crutch; can be speedy if you take your eye off him. He falls over quite a lot. His right leg just gives way with no warning. Last week it was an ambulance job to pick him up. As if robbing him of his speech wasn’t cruel enough he can’t stop salivating, which means he’s constantly wiping his mouth and has difficulty eating. My once proud dad is embarrassed and hides away because of his failing health. He eats little and no longer drinks alcohol. You may be right, time is of the essence.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts