Just when you thought you could stop hoarding the toilet paper

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Burning Petard

Just when you thought you could stop hoarding the toilet paper

Post by Burning Petard »

The supply chain problems from Covid seem to have adjusted themselves to some extent and we can stop hoarding things--unless you are a parent who needs to bottle-feed your child. Also still some problems if you absolutely must have a new car right now.

Then global warming strikes again. Droughts in western Canada. Mild winter in France lets the wrong bugs survive. You better save some of that space where you put the case of toilet paper for MUSTARD !

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/14/worl ... Position=1

Most of the mustard seed that becomes the yellow condiment comes from Canada. France has special controls on Dijon mustard, just like Champagne--only made in particular place by particular process. The mustard seed crop from Canada is way down. The mustard seed crop in France is way down. Stores in France are rationing the stuff. I never would have guessed. Catsup is an abomination for French cuisine, but Mustard is essential. I can pass on it except for BLT sandwiches and deviled eggs. My cardiac Dr says I should never eat BLT's and I am too lazy to make deviled eggs. But I did buy two jars of yellow hot dog relish (Don't tell my Dr.)

Is there anybody who thinks technology is gonna fix it all this -- there will not be any need for American lifestyle changes due to global warming?

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Re: Just when you thought you could stop hoarding the toilet paper

Post by BoSoxGal »

It’s too late. The climate scientists know this and discuss it openly among themselves. Yes they did get the science wrong - they underestimated the effects and are every month newly astonished by the rate at which the effects are kicking in. It’s too late. Dr. Lovelock of the Gaia hypothesis who passed away last week had said as much more than half a decade ago. We are nowhere near making the changes that won’t even be enough. Hell is coming for the human species and all the species with which we share the planet and for whom we’re destroying it.

Life will arise again in other fashions and forms. Humans may survive but in exponentially smaller numbers than we exist today - officially 8 billion now, as announced last week. We’ve been a scourge and the planet will do better without so many of us.

My personal carbon footprint is small and I keep working to make it smaller but I definitely live first world with my dog who eats a raw diet and myself who still eats meat. I’m tired of fretting over it so much when others fly their private jets to avoid 30 minutes in traffic. Humans are capable of great brilliance but overall we are obnoxious wasteful violent nasty selfish monkeys.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... &fs=e&s=cl
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:31 pm
Humans are capable of great brilliance but overall we are obnoxious wasteful violent nasty selfish monkeys.
I think you just insulted monkeys.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Burning Petard wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:16 pm
Is there anybody who thinks technology is gonna fix it all this -- there will not be any need for American lifestyle changes due to global warming?
No. Change is coming

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:59 pm

No. C change is coming
FTFY
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Sue U wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:38 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:

No. C change is coming
FTFY
I don't agree with your fix :lol: (because it isn't a fix, merely restating what I posted)

"No" is the answer to Snail's question "Is there anybody who thinks technology is gonna fix it all this"

"No" is still the answer to his second question "(Is there anybody who thinks. . .) there will not be any need for American lifestyle changes due to global warming?"

Whether there is an attempt to fix it or nothing at all is done, American lifestyle changes are coming, disastrously and terminally (as pictured).
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Is this image from The Road, or the war in Ukraine?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:10 am
Is this image from The Road, or the war in Ukraine?
When I chose this one, I was not able to identify it. Assumed it was from a movie at first but then discovered a healthy(?) genre of post-apocalyptic landscape art of which this seems to be one more (anonymous as far as the interwebs are concerned) example. Sorry

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

"No" is the answer to Snail's question "Is there anybody who thinks technology is gonna fix it all this"
I am of two minds on this; the pessimist in me agrees the answer is a resounding "No"; however, I have also noted that mankind is incredibly resilient and has avoided a lot of catastrophes throughout history that were at least as daunting (at the time) as this. For example, growing up in nuclear America with multiple "duck and cover" drills and taking Civil Defense training (it was referred to as medical self help, not first aid, as we would be on our own without doctors for some time after the bomb hit), I fully expected that we would have a global thermonuclear war before I was 21--but we did not. Why? Better leaders? Nixon, Carter, Reagan...? I don't see that (and the USSR and China had their own assholes). But we did not have the catastrophic war I expected. Likewise, I expected a major global famine before 2000, but, while there some horrendous local ones, that didn't happen either. I could go on and on.

Maybe mankind was just lucky and will not be this time, but I'm not sure. We have been pretty good at sidestepping catastrophes. Sure, there will be some lifestyle changes--some for the better, some not so, but have we used our "luck" up? I'm just not convinced that we have.

Of course, the pessimist in me is shouting, "Stop bullshitting everyone--our doom is unavoidable" and, other than what I said above, I can see no valid reason to dispute that. But, there is a kernel of hope in me that we will get through this.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:00 pm
I am of two minds on this
Get out! No way! As if! Surely not! Something with Nicholas Cage in it! You're kidding me! Never! You?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

‘We’ will get through this if your measure is species extinction. I don’t believe Homo sapiens will go extinct, but I do believe that our population will go off a cliff through a combination of factors - not least will be the likelihood that the 13,000 nuclear weapons still in existence will be used as nations go to war over water and food. But anything we suffer as a species is just our comeuppance, anyway. We’ve slaughtered our fellow earthlings to the tune of trillions of lives and despoiled the planet in every way we could imagine. We even filled the immediate orbit with trash. We stink.
~ Carl Sagan

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Well we can't all be as certain of everything as you are Meade; whether you have reasons to be that sure or not different question.

BSG--
We stink
Well, you've given pretty good examples of why we do, but then we always have. I do agree our technology can only carry us so far, and we may be reaching that limit. In 2001 Arthur Clarke showed us this and postulated that it was time for a revolutionary change since out tools could no longer support us--just as the discovery of rudimentary tools prompted a similar change at the time the hominids discovered hem. Maybe we are in line for such a shift. Time will tell.

And, Meade, I'll watch what unfolds from the fence until I have a reason to believe one side is more likely to occur than the other. You can just watch and laugh smugly.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Ah, Big RR, I think you've forgotten our history. Wasn't worth remembering but I do. I'm just teasing. :ok :D

(the joke always was that you sit on the fence for everything - or so it seemed. Another way to look at it, is that you see both sides of many issues)

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Seeing both sides is a lot more fun, even if does make one seem indecisive, or is it?

But do tell me, what was the Nicholas Cage reference?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Big RR, to your point about growing up in the duck and cover age - we do still face global nuclear annihilation, possibly now more than ever. Clearly we are seeing that madmen continue to rule us all over the globe, putting to rest the notion that we evolved much after WWII. In fact that brief period of peace was the anomaly in all human existence, and despite Biden’s efforts to strengthen NATO in light of the Russian invasion of Ukraine, I don’t have a lot of confidence that the world order of international law is going to stand up to the challenges coming to nations all over the globe as climate change wreaks havoc with life as we have known it - which has always been very unjust and screwed up for the masses, anyway.

https://youtu.be/I0My9xhgxVE
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yes, I’m sure I sound very nihilistic. I’m just reflecting the science I have read and understood and integrating that into the half century personal observation of humanity I have under my belt and all that I know about our history. It’s bleak, I know. Maybe speaking of it is easier when you don’t have children or grandchildren who will suffer as this all plays out. I’ve also come to a place in life where I just don’t hold any greater reverence for Homo sapiens than for any other species that inhabits this planet. Undoubtedly that comes in part from my atheism, and in part from my personal and professional experiences that have taught me there is no more dangerous or vile species on earth than ours.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Big RR wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:17 pm
Seeing both sides is a lot more fun, even if does make one seem indecisive, or is it?

But do tell me, what was the Nicholas Cage reference?
:lol: Nice one!

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Don't know about TP, but the bears ripped apart a big box of 24 smaller boxes of facial tissue, kind of an ursine house prank, papering the yard. Left the huge bag of dry dog food, but the dogs still don't like them.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I think it says something notable that a bear ignored the dog food. They used to try to break into my garage to get at black oil sunflower seed inside a metal can behind a wall. They’re pretty good sniffers.

eta: A quick Google search teaches me that they are in fact considered to have one of the best noses of any animals on earth. (This is why it is so incredibly important to store foods and scented body products outside the tent in a bear proof container when camping.) This seems to suggest your dog’s food isn’t so good. Rancid, maybe?
~ Carl Sagan

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

It is good, high quality, kibble. I have had other bags sit on my porch or walkway (where delivery left it), and bears passing by have consistently ignored it. Bears here are not hurting for food.