US Level 181

Food, recipes, fashion, sport, education, exercise, sexuality, travel.
Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

US Level 181

Post by Econoline »

Since the site didn't define its terms, I chose to define "Stayed Here" as "stayed overnight for at least 1 night (in a hotel/motel/B&B or a campground or at a friend's/relative's house)".
US Level 0.png
Do it yourself, here.

ETA: My wife and I plan to check off North Carolina and South Carolina during a 2½-week mini-vacation (health permitting) along the Atlantic coast next month.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Burning Petard

Re: US Level 181

Post by Burning Petard »

I come up with 127 points.

snailgate

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

127 points - however by Econoline’s rules my score would be much higher, as there are many states I’ve stayed just overnight in which I classified as stopped here rather than stayed here, which I used for states where I’ve stayed short term like a couple of months or weeks with friends or family versus one night overnight while driving cross country.
3408C382-C98F-4C46-BB1C-8AFB2083469D.jpeg
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Before this version I did try it once using "stayed or camped for 2 or more nights" for "Stayed Here"; "1 overnight stay PLUS 1 other activity" for "Visited Here"; "museum or other tourist site" and/or "sit-down meal in a restaurant or family meal in a picnic area" for "Stopped Here"; and "stopped only for gas and/or takeout food" for "Passed Here". (Overnight in an airport doesn't count at all, obviously.) But then I decided that the distinction between "1 night" and "2 or more nights" was pretty arbitrary and changed that.

ETA: As for "a couple of months or weeks with friends or family"...before I retired a couple of years ago I've *NEVER* had enough time off work to manage that, and besides, I've never had enough close friends or family for that to be even remotely possible.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Econoline wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:17 am
ETA: As for "a couple of months or weeks with friends or family"...before I retired a couple of years ago I've *NEVER* had enough time off work to manage that, and besides, I've never had enough close friends or family for that to be even remotely possible.
You’re quite lucky that your life has never seen you a victim of recession downsizing layoff and protracted unemployment, because it definitely is a very demoralizing experience.

The best thing it taught me was how lucky I am to have made a good enough impression on some friends in my life that they were happy to welcome me with open arms for spare room occupation as I made my way across country on a job search tour. My longest stay of some months was with a dying friend, who was happy to have a true friend as a free live-in hospice caregiver - an experience that ended up being one of the most meaningful in my life. So I guess sometimes misfortunes happen for a greater reason.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

While my "permanent" residence has always been in Washington State, I did have mailing addresses in Florida for 6 months when I was in the Navy.

Otherwise, I could have a higher score, but I defined "stayed here" if I was in that State more than just as a motel room. Basically, business trips and family vacations. "Passed through" were the places I literally drove through without stopping for gas, food, anything. For Minnesota, it was literally an airport layover so I called that Passed Through (would be for Maine too, it was a refuel stop coming back from Egypt but I have since also driven into Kittery, ME to get gas after I VISITED Portsmouth NH, which is why they're different.).

Note that I visited/passed though 38 States + DC in one road trip back in 2014. Before that, the map would look VERY different.
US Level 0.jpg
Last edited by datsunaholic on Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

How are you guys getting the image to post?

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:29 am
How are you guys getting the image to post?

-"BB"-
Shrank it 33% and resaved it as a JPG. I just used MSPaint, but whatever image editor one has handy will work.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:43 am
Econoline wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:17 am
You’re quite lucky that your life has never seen you a victim of recession downsizing layoff and protracted unemployment, because it definitely is a very demoralizing experience.
For most of my "career" I was an "independent contractor" (paid on commission) with no paid vacations or paid holidays, no possible unemployment benefits, no workmans compensation, no health insurance (but my wife usually had insurance that I could be added to), no employer contribution to Social Security or Medicare. In other words, part of the "gig economy" before it was called the "gig economy". Anyone with any sense would have quit that shit and found a real job. "Lucky"? No, just stupid.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Uh, pic is still a bit big. But a pathetic 120. Then again, I've lost time which could have been spent in Nebraska in 23 other countries

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

You will be pleased to know...
Untitled.png
and that's the coloUr they will stay. :-)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Racist.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

I guess I should get traveling to some more places, with 130 using Econo's "Stayed/Visited/Stopped" definitions.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

171 using - I think - Econo's definitions. Lived in 4 states (NY, IN, MO and KY); visited all but 7 (HI, ND, SD, IA, NE, WY and NE); but they were fleeting visits to VT, NH and RI and never, as far as I recall, stayed overnight there, Also lived in Mexico and Canada as a kid but no points for that.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Gob wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:45 pm
You will be pleased to know...

Untitled.png

and that's the coloUr they will stay. :-)
Here, try this one. (Jeez, look what they did to Ukraine on that map! :evil: )

Here's my (pathetic) score—only 17:
Europe Level 0.png
I didn't count Germany at all, since I've only been in the Frankfurt and Munich airports (to change planes on the way to Nice and on the way home from Zurich). OTOH, I've only been in the Monte Carlo train station in Monaco, so I figured if I counted that I would in effect be giving myself ½ point each for briefly "passing" Germany and Monaco. :shrug
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I scored 12 for UK (!), France (visit), Italy (stay). My excuse is moving permanently to the USA at age 26 followed by poverty. Can't I count 6 other "stays" in the UK on visits?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Done France, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Russia, Portugal, Eire, Austria, Greece, Slovenia, and of course the UK.

In the coming three years, we are planning on visiting Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Iceland.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Give yourself an extra 5 points for Australia!

.....No, make that 10 points because you found Hen there! :D :ok
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

But lose 5 points for Cornwall . . :lol:

Gob

Post by Gob »

Econoline wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:56 pm
Give yourself an extra 5 points for Australia!

.....No, make that 10 points because you found Hen there! :D :ok
Many thanks mate.

Do I get more points for New Zealand, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, Chile, Morocco, Tunisia, Fiji, and Singapore? (and oops, forgot Malta in my first post.)
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:03 pm
But lose 5 points for Cornwall . . :lol:
Twat. :lol: :lol: :lol: