Home for Random Thoughts

Members own writings, photography, music, art, poetry, prose.
Show off your own stuff, share the pleasure, suffer the critics.
Burning Petard

Re: Home for Random Thoughts

Post by Burning Petard »

I find most people are analog. snailgate

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

All those other ones were crackers?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:14 pm
I suppose it could be taken that way — although I'd hardly call JFK a 'cracker', and there's a couple of others for whom that label wouldn't be a good fit.  I was thinking more in terms of dry, flat/one-dimensional, and bland.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Just dry flat, one dimensional? What abut #9, WHH, the only president to talk himself to death?

(Big Sigh) But we will always have Millard Fillmore.

snailgate

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:25 pm
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:14 pm
I suppose it could be taken that way — although I'd hardly call JFK a 'cracker', and there's a couple of others for whom that label wouldn't be a good fit.  I was thinking more in terms of dry, flat/one-dimensional, and bland.
-"BB"-
Ah, Americanese! Cracker meaning hayseed? I was thinking English - crackers meaning crazy. Although Dolly Madison may have been a cracker - but not President of course. Now Kennedy was a sailor - so . . . an 'Old Saltine'?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Because Cleveland had two non-consecutive terms - and so far he is the only President to have done this - he is generally presumed, by those who keep track of this sort of thing, to be president #24 and #26. This means that Trump was #45 and Obama #44. So we have Obama as the Oreo (an unpleasant little racist trope) and Trump's the one at the end there. Is that some sort of 'limp dick' joke? I think we should be told.

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:26 pm
Because Cleveland had two non-consecutive terms - and so far he is the only President to have done this - he is generally presumed, by those who keep track of this sort of thing, to be president #24 and #26. This means that Trump was #45 and Obama #44. So we have Obama as the Oreo (an unpleasant little racist trope) and Trump's the one at the end there. Is that some sort of 'limp dick' joke? I think we should be told.
I believe that's supposed to be a Cheeto.
-"BB"-

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Cracker cracker cracker Oreo Cheeto.

White white white half/half spray on tan.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I wish I loved oatmeal.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I have not seen the sun all week, and woke again today to an overcast sky - forecast had called for some sun but it’s not coming until tomorrow it seems. I have had a dark mood the last day or so I cannot seem to shake, despite sunbox and music and cannabis.

Today I am finally going to watch all of Shoah, start to finish.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I don't think that will cheer you up, BSG.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I did not watch the recent re-run on public television of 'Eye on the Prize" because I wanted to be cheered up. I wanted to be reminded of what I had under the glass on my desk in Schwetzingen Germany in 1963. It was two covers from Der Spiegel (the German equivalent of Times Magazine)

One was a picture of a human being hanging on barb wire and bleeding to death while American Soldiers watched and took no action. The other showed American police directing dogs to attack American Citizens in America while the cops beat them with batons and others hit them with high pressure water hoses. The people, not the dogs. Americans don't like cruelty to animals.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:31 pm
I don't think that will cheer you up, BSG.
I’ve had this film - now presented as two parts, Shoah Era One and Shoah Era Two - on my watchlist for many years. I haven’t always had access to it depending on services and many times when I did I knew my mental health wasn’t good enough at that point to watch - knowing my great aunties and great uncles and cousins were Nazis who perpetrated these atrocities makes it especially difficult to contemplate.

I just finished Era One, which took me all day to watch with frequent rewinds and breaks as well. The film is technically brilliant; the closing scene of Era One, with the narration of a letter from the Nazis to a German truck manufacturer requesting alterations to the production of gas vans after use had revealed where engineering improvements could create efficiencies - against a backdrop of German industrial landscapes and a modern truck of the same brand rolling down a German highway, interspersed with footage of the narrow dirt lane in the beautiful forest outside Chelmo where they buried the bodies in mass graves after gassing them on the way. Lanzmann was a genius filmmaker, apart from anything else - and what a gift this film is to the historical record of humanity. I wonder how he could spend so many years making it without losing his mind.

I am certainly not cheered up. I have to take a break tonight and might not watch Era Two until another weekend.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

If the Earth is 70% water...

And if most of that water is uncarbonated...

Then maybe the Earth IS flat after all.
-"BB"-

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Someone’s rapping at the door
Somebody’s ringing the bell
Someone’s rapping at the door
Somebody’s ringing the bell

Do me a favor- Open the door and let Eminem in…

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

A good synonym for "woke" is "conscious".
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Just made my first quiche (yes late to the game, plan to work very hard to make up for lost time).

Among life’s most exquisitely delicious experiences- waiting for quiche to cool/set, or fruit filled pie.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Encounter with complete stranger on elevator:

Complete stranger: (motioning to my mask) Why are you still wearing a diaper on your face?

Me: I'm a serial killer wanted on a Canada-wide warrant, and I don't want to allow facial recognition technology to identify me.

Complete stranger: (expression wavering between annoyance and fear, wondering if she should believe me)

Me: My last two victims asked me why I was wearing a mask right before I stabbed them.

Complete stranger: (completely unnerved, lurches out the opening doors and scurries down the hall)

Me: Run Karen, RUNNNNNNN!!
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

She deserved it.
~ Carl Sagan