Music recommendations

Movies, books, music, and all the arts go here.
Give us your recommendations and reviews.
Jarlaxle

Re: Music recommendations

Post by Jarlaxle »

But watch out for pickle-o's.

They tend to play...sour notes.

:D

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Very good.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

And my I feel ancient watching this video. The singer has an earpiece; even the trumpet and trombone need a mic. Any day now I expect the Rose Bowl parade with all the prestige for the school bands participating, will have a float with big amp and speakers for each band.

snailgate

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:56 pm
And my I feel ancient watching this video. The singer has an earpiece; even the trumpet and trombone need a mic. Any day now I expect the Rose Bowl parade with all the prestige for the school bands participating, will have a float with big amp and speakers for each band.

snailgate
Note what the stage DOES NOT have: she needs the earpiece, because there are no monitors. Since prices have come down, it's common even for garage bands now-in part, because it's a lot easier to carry earpieces than bulky monitors.

Anything recorded for TV needs microphones on all the instruments to sound right. (Especially this, with a lot of horns.) Heck, I recall bands using microphones on the saxophone as far back as the late 80s. My first concert was Neil Sedaka at the Warwick Musical Theatre in the mid-80s-the horns (he had a lot) had a big bank of microphones around them.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

That's what has me feeling old. Why the need for 'monitors' ? The entire sound is now filtered through electronics. Does anybody, even the performers today, know what the live sound is? Never mind the audience. As Jaraxle hints, they are just decoration for the broadcast or recorded performance.

I will fully admit that without this recorded stuff, I would have no experience with many musicians I really like, like Wanda Landowska. My grandchildren would have no knowledge of my favorites, Louis and Ella DON'T YOU DARE ASK 'WHO DAT?'

snailgate.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:56 pm
That's what has me feeling old. Why the need for 'monitors' ? The entire sound is now filtered through electronics. Does anybody, even the performers today, know what the live sound is? Never mind the audience. As Jaraxle hints, they are just decoration for the broadcast or recorded performance.

I will fully admit that without this recorded stuff, I would have no experience with many musicians I really like, like Wanda Landowska. My grandchildren would have no knowledge of my favorites, Louis and Ella DON'T YOU DARE ASK 'WHO DAT?'

snailgate.
So...serious question: have you ever actually sung in front of musicians? ALL musicians use monitors, because they cannot hear the music properly otherwise.

In a large venue (Madison Square Garden, any big arena or stadium), half the audience wouldn't be able to hear anything but vocals and guitars without audio pickups for the horns and percussion.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

""In a large venue (Madison Square Garden, any big arena or stadium), half the audience wouldn't be able to hear anything but vocals and guitars without audio pickups for the horns and percussion."

Yep. And in a small venue, like my neighborhood bar where I went about 20 years ago to listen to a single individual playing with a guitar and singing. I could only talk to the person next to me if put my mouth right up to their ear, because the amplified sound system was so loud. I went to orchestra and band and choral singing performances in Independence Missouri in the 50s with no electronics at all. A 100 piece classical orchestra had no trouble being heard in an auditorium of 8,000 with no microphones or speakers. Five years ago in Wilmington Delaware I heard David Bromberg and a small group of high school musicians performing in a small room with about 30 people and no amplification system. It cost me ten bucks to get in and I would have willingly paid twice that--but more than that I just have never been able to afford. So I have never been to a big name 'concert' in one of those big arenas.

Yes I did see a live performance of 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf'' road company with Taylor and Burton in a small theater in Kansas City, no amplification. In the cheap seats I did have trouble hearing all the words.

Have I ever sung before a crowd?. Nope. If I ever tried it I am sure my voice and musicality would soon clear the room.

snailgate.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Burning Petard wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:30 pm
""In a large venue (Madison Square Garden, any big arena or stadium), half the audience wouldn't be able to hear anything but vocals and guitars without audio pickups for the horns and percussion."

Yep. And in a small venue, like my neighborhood bar where I went about 20 years ago to listen to a single individual playing with a guitar and singing. I could only talk to the person next to me if put my mouth right up to their ear, because the amplified sound system was so loud.
Someone turned it too high. It happens.
I went to orchestra and band and choral singing performances in Independence Missouri in the 50s with no electronics at all. A 100 piece classical orchestra had no trouble being heard in an auditorium of 8,000 with no microphones or speakers.
Yes...a full orchestra (as opposed to a 3-5 piece band), in a venue a fraction of the size! (A typical arena holds 17-20,000. A stadium can easily triple that.) Even in a 4-5,000-seat venue, a rock/pop band's horns and piano will need amplification.
Five years ago in Wilmington Delaware I heard David Bromberg and a small group of high school musicians performing in a small room with about 30 people and no amplification system. It cost me ten bucks to get in and I would have willingly paid twice that--but more than that I just have never been able to afford. So I have never been to a big name 'concert' in one of those big arenas.
Small crowd, small venue. No need for a big sound system.
Yes I did see a live performance of 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf'' road company with Taylor and Burton in a small theater in Kansas City, no amplification. In the cheap seats I did have trouble hearing all the words.

Have I ever sung before a crowd?. Nope. If I ever tried it I am sure my voice and musicality would soon clear the room.

snailgate.
Then you do not understand why performers use monitors.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

'Then you do not understand why performers use monitors.'

Then enlighten me. I understand it is because the musicians, with various electronic devices, project lots of sound out into the audience, and can not hear themselves what is going on around them. If they waited until the sound came back to them naturally from the area of the audience then there would be a noticeable delay and the musicians would not be working together. 'monitor' speakers aim sound directly back to the players. The problem was solved before everything was miked, via a process called 'rehearsal' and the actual performance utililized something called a 'conductor' even for non-long hair music, people like Fred Waring, Duke Ellington, Lawrence Welk. And yes he did actually invent the Waring Blender, to solve his personal problem with bad food while touring. It eventually evolved into Dan Aykroyd's famous 'Bass-o-matic

snailgate

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Middle of winter

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Burning Petard wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:09 pm
'Then you do not understand why performers use monitors.'

Then enlighten me. I understand it is because the musicians, with various electronic devices, project lots of sound out into the audience, and can not hear themselves what is going on around them. If they waited until the sound came back to them naturally from the area of the audience then there would be a noticeable delay and the musicians would not be working together. 'monitor' speakers aim sound directly back to the players. The problem was solved before everything was miked, via a process called 'rehearsal' and the actual performance utililized something called a 'conductor' even for non-long hair music, people like Fred Waring, Duke Ellington, Lawrence Welk. And yes he did actually invent the Waring Blender, to solve his personal problem with bad food while touring. It eventually evolved into Dan Aykroyd's famous 'Bass-o-matic

snailgate
You cannot understand. I can't explain fireworks to someone born blind and deaf.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Perhaps, brother Jar, I am not profoundly blind and deaf and may catch a feel for the rumble in the floor from the response of the audience to such a performance. You begin to instruct me as to the necessity of light shows and fireworks at the large arena presentations of musicians.

snailgate

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

So I present my music recommendation. The father/daughter piano drums of Martin and Sabine Parker. I note they each have one mic in front of them. Perhaps they have monitor speakers near them but I see nothing in their ears. I hear a drummer who does not need to be loud and lots of fireworks from the piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rggpc47BFTQ

sanitate

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Long Run wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:03 am
Middle of winter

[youtube]Traffic "Dear Mr. Fantasy" vid[/youtube]
You are obviously a man of highly refined tastes.
GAH!

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Country outlaw ballads...

This one is stunning.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MIchael Martin Murphey used to own a ranch on which he raised quarter-horses near Westby (WI) about ten-fifteen years ago, and for a time was a common sight at some community functions (singing the national anthem before the HS football game, for instance).  Westby is about a half-hour's drive from where I live currently.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m putting this movie recommendation here because it’s really a music recommendation- the soundtrack is terrific. The scenery is also stunning, and the story is pretty good. Patrick Stewart is wonderful.

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Love this still even tho it’s older than I am.

Suck it fogies. ;)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Burning Petard

Yes Bitch, I am talking to you.

Post by Burning Petard »

The post modernist society, as I have been told, holds that there is no reality is independent of the observer. Words mean whatever the user of the word wants them to mean. Truth, morality, good, are all concepts with no meaning outside of context. So. I am justified in the heading of this post, because of my experience with three female domestic canines. They were not perfect. But they were all paragons of the virtues I hold important in my relations with others. As I have posted in other places, a female Brittany was the finest person I have known in my entire life.

So. Ladies, I give you Saffire, the Uppity Blues Women, with their advice to others: Don't Treat Your Man Like a Dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHgJb9us4X8

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

And now for something truly different, I give you two white men, not even North American, doing their thing in public.

Anybody tell me what the instrument is? I looks to me like an acoustic piano, reduced to it's minimum. I bet it would even fit in the back of a high-milage RAV4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjHlhs9949I

snailgate