Don't let the door hit you in the ass

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Don't let the door hit you in the ass

Post by Scooter »

Good riddance:
About 80,000 Texans want to be the Lone Star country.

The White House will respond after thousands signed a petition on a government website following U.S. President Barack Obama’s re-election asking for Texas to have the right to secede from the United States.

“The U.S. continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal government’s neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending,” the petition, asking the Obama administration to “Peacefully grant the State of Texas to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own (new) government,” says.

Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney defeated Obama in Texas by taking 57.2% of the vote compared to Obama’s 41.4%.

Some 100,000 Americans signed petitions demanding the right for their state to leave the union following Obama’s victory, but only Texas has passed the 25,000 mark at which the White House is supposed to respond.

The Texas petition went live on the White House website on Nov. 9.

The White House says every petition that passes the threshold will get a response in a “timely fashion.”

Texas Governor Rick Perry says he opposes succession and has no interest in the petition.

“Gov. Perry believes in the greatness of our Union and nothing should be done to change it,” his office wrote in a statement to the Dallas Morning News. “But he also shares the frustrations many Americans have with our federal government.”

The U.S. Constitution contains no provisions allowing for states to secede from the union.

“Once Texas had agreed to join the Union, she never had the legal option of leaving, either before or after the Civil War,” says a post from the Texas State Library and Archives Commission.

Texas has seceded from the United States once already, joining the Confederate States during the Civil War in 1861, not long after its 1845 entrance into the union. The state was re-admitted to the union in 1870.

Petitions from 20 different states have asked to secede from the United States on the White House website. Most of those states voted for Romney.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Re: Don't let the door hit you in the ass

Post by Sue U »

What a bunch of crybaby idiots. The thing about democracy is, sometimes your guy loses; you don't always get your way, and when you don't, you have to be a grown-up about it and give the other side their rightful opportunity to govern. Whining and stamping your feet and otherwise pitching a fit because you lost an election is not only anti-democratic, it's just stupid. If you don't want to play by the rules, then you are by all means free to pack up and go somewhere more to your liking. The people encouraging this kind of behavior should be ashamed.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I don't know, I wouldn't cry if the whole state packed up and left the USA (but then I would have let the southern states leave in 1860-61 as well). Face it, I think a split on red/blue lines exists already, and I se no reason to pretend that it doesn't exist or it isn't important.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

My understanding is that there are 30 states where this idiocy is going on...(it only takes 25,000 signatures)

Just an excuse for some internet griffters to make a few bucks off of some really dumb people...
Last edited by Lord Jim on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Maybe we can create a sizeable independent enclave for these people to move to. Down the road, we can have another one for the liberals who say the same sort of thing when an R president is elected.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I wish I could make a buck off of these nimrods..

Let's pose the question:

The chance that a state that is a part of the United States would be permitted to leave the United States is:

A. Zero

B. Less than zero

C. If you are insane enough to believe this could happen, you must be licking the hallucinogenic sweat glands of Arizona desert toads...
Last edited by Lord Jim on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Jim--I tend to agree with you on the likelihood of this happening, but if it did, I also don't think there would be much support to militarily reincorporate them into the union. I know I wouldn't.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

As long as we are paid back for the interstate highways, the national parks, the federal lands (with all grazing rights, mineral rights, etc.), the military bases, the Army Corps of Engineers projects, the ports, the federal office buildings and courthouses, the airport infrastructure, the Johnson Space Center, all federal facilities, all federally-guaranteed loans (including student loans), etc. etc. etc. And we get the money up front.
GAH!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Makes sense, but as with any divorce we would also have to adjust for what resources Texas (or any other seceding state/area) brought to the table and contributed toward these things as well as to the assets of the US in general to arrive at an equitable distribution.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

OK as long as they can have visitation rights with New Mexico on alternate weekends
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

dales

Post by dales »

Lord Jim wrote:I wish I could make a buck off of these nimrods..

Let's pose the question:

The chance that a state that is a part of the United States would be permitted to leave the United States is:

A. Zero

B. Less than zero

C. If you are insane enough to believe this could happen, you must be licking the hallucinogenic sweat glands of Arizona dessert toads...
I'll take "C" for a thousand Jim: What is a sweet treat in the DESERT when the peyote supply is running low.

I say ship all of the malcontents off to any nation that will have them. Remember Alec Baldwin bitching when Bush was elected? He never left, what a load.

Who would want that old drunkard, anyway?

I loathe a sore looser be they dem/rep. :arg

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Okay, edited "dessert toads" to "desert toads"...

Happy now? :nana
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Jim--I tend to agree with you on the likelihood of this happening, but if it did, I also don't think there would be much support to militarily reincorporate them into the union.
Oh, Big RR, I can't imagine you being more wrong....

As George F. Will once correctly observed, "The question of 'States Rights' was settled at Vicksburg..."...

The principle of "Once in never out" though not technically enshrined in the Constitution, is pretty well established...
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

And if a state were really to be so foolhardy as to attempt try to leave The United States, (as opposed to some sort of PR stunt) there is not a doubt in my mind that we would bring all the military force necessary to bear to prevent that from happening, and I would fully support the effort...
ImageImageImage

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

:roll: And do Texans really think that any significant portion of the large number of U.S. military personnel in Texas would switch sides and fight against the U.S.A.?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

dales

Post by dales »

CA has nukes, does TX? :mrgreen:

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

It's an absurd concept, because it's never going to happen....

We are too intertwined as a people for that to happen...

And no President, (not this one or any other) would stand idly by while his country disintegrated...(Well, except for James Buchanan, who did exactly that; but that didn't end well....)
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Econoline wrote::roll: And do Texans really think that any significant portion of the large number of U.S. military personnel in Texas would switch sides and fight against the U.S.A.?

I have an issue with Texans...its a cognitive dissonance thing...

I have really liked every single Texan person I have ever met....had a couple of really good Texan girlfriends, and several other good friends...Salt of the earth, Texans...

On the other hand...

They root for the Dallas Cowboys, which as a Redskins fan, makes them Satan Worshipers in my view...

So how can I be friends with people who worship The Great Horned One.... :?

How can one be friends with Satan Worshipers?

It's a dilemma... :?
ImageImageImage

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

My guess if things ever got to that point. the country would have disintegrated enough that it could be possible depending the circumstances. THoguh I do think it is telling how the "politics of Fear" are effecting this country;

Case in point:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/1 ... 19080.html
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Lord Jim wrote:
Econoline wrote::roll: And do Texans really think that any significant portion of the large number of U.S. military personnel in Texas would switch sides and fight against the U.S.A.?

I have an issue with Texans...its a cognitive dissonance thing...

I have really liked every single Texan person I have ever met....had a couple of really good Texan girlfriends, and several other good friends...Salt of the earth, Texans...

On the other hand...

They root for the Dallas Cowboys, which as a Redskins fan, makes them Satan Worshipers in my view...

So how can I be friends with people who worship The Great Horned One.... :?

How can one be friends with Satan Worshipers?

It's a dilemma... :?
I have a similar dilemma. I have several very good friends who are from Plano Texas, incredibly intelligent and thoughtful, but with a huge blind spot - they are conservative Republicans who are very politically active and friends with the Bush family. I had one of the best times ever at their Texas wedding, the Texans all loved me and tried to coerce me to move out there. And yet, they are in league with the Devil. It's uncanny how such insanity happens.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké