A MA POWERBALL WINNER

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
RayThom

A MA POWERBALL WINNER

Post by RayThom »

There was one Grand Prize winning ticket from the lottery of Massachusetts!

Guin, have you checked your tickets? If it's you, you're going to need a good lawyer.

Powerball numbers for 08/23/2017 are:
06 07 16 23 26 Powerball 4
Powerplay 4X

The estimated Grand Prize was $758,700,000 ($480,500,936.39 cash).
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Lord Jim

Re: A MA POWERBALL WINNER

Post by Lord Jim »

The Massachusetts State Lottery announced early Thursday morning that the winning ticket was sold at the Handy Variety convenience store in Watertown, Mass.
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Masshole wins Powerball

It was sold in Chicopee, not Watertown.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:Masshole wins Powerball

It was sold in Chicopee, not Watertown.
Was it really necessary to use the term "Masshole"?
Just 'cause you didn't win is no reason to call someone else an obscene and derogatory name.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

rubato

Post by rubato »

"Masshole"? She seemed perfectly nice in the interview. Or is this some item of regional dialect meaning "anyone from Mass."

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I'm a proud Masshole - it's a term of affection among Massachusetts natives.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

A MA POWERBALL WINNER

Post by RayThom »

BoSoxGal wrote:I'm a proud Masshole - it's a term of affection among Massachusetts natives.
According to the OED... MASSHOLE: A piece of “coarse slang” defined as “a term of contempt for a native or inhabitant of the state of Massachusetts,” Masshole was one of nearly 500 words added to the dictionary on Wednesday, along with twerk, sext, hyperlocal, freegan, fratty, and fo' shizzle. (Jun 25, 2015)

Love it, or leave it... but obscene? Hardly!
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I'm sure it's used offensively by many people, but most of the native Massholes I know have reclaimed it for the greater good.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:... but most of the native Massholes I know have reclaimed it for the greater good.
Just keep on telling yourself that, BSG... :ok
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Can't win if you don't play. And I was out at a meeting and racing around from office to meeting to home, so I forgot to grab my ticket. What might have been!

The winner sounds like exactly the kind of person you would want to win -- a single Mom (of adult kids) who lives outside of Springfield, which is a far less economically prosperous part of the state than Eastern Mass. She worked 30 years at a local hospital and dreamed of retiring. She said she was scared and also wants to go back to bed and hide.

She's totally adorbs, and I'm thrilled for her.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I agree, she seems like a lovely person and a very deserving winner...

And she also had the presence of mind to answer the question, "Are you going to quit your job?" with the rational answer, "yes"...

It cracks me up when I see these folks who have just won one of these multi-hundred million dollar payouts who are working some low level job who answer with something like, "Oh no, I love being a sewer inspector; why would I quit?"
:loon

My suspicion is that those people are still basically in a state of shock, and they haven't really processed the enormity of the good fortune that has just befallen them, and they haven't thought it through...

I would really like to see those folks tracked to find out how many of them are still working at their jobs six months later...

I'd bet it's very few, if any...the first time the boss gives you any grief at all, you're going to say, "Screw this, what the hell am I doing here?"

My favorite one like that was a guy a few years ago who was in his mid sixties who had just won a 650 million dollar jackpot, who said he wasn't going to quit his job as a golf course groundskeeper...

I imagined a scenario where he would come into work a little late one day and the snooty club manager chews him out for being late. The guy leaves the room, comes back a little while later and says to the manager:

"Mr. Brookstone, I just bought the club. And as my first executive decision as the new owner, you're fired."
Last edited by Lord Jim on Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Why quit when it is much more fun to get fired?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

That brings up another scenario I've imagined happening:

Boss arrives at the office and says to employee laboring away in their cubicle:

"Wow, I saw on the news last night that Bob won 300 million dollars in the Power Ball. I wonder if he's going to quit."

Employee: "Why don't you ask him yourself? He's in your office, pissing on your desk."
ImageImageImage

RayThom

A MA POWERBALL WINNER

Post by RayThom »

LJ sez: It cracks me up when I see these folks who have just won one of these multi-hundred million dollar payouts who are working some low level job who answer with some like, "Oh no, I love being a sewer inspector; why would I quit?"
No doubt the same people who, when approached on line by a TV reporter, drone on as to how they're going to help everyone in their neighborhood, church, local swimming pool, and even their family. "Bertha, the lady next door needs new lawn ornaments, Pastor Clyde needs a new Chris-Craft and a vacation, our swim club ran out of chlorine a few months ago, and mom and uncle Abner can use some new dentures, and a post digger. As for myself, I don't want anything other than a 64 inch flat screen, my gout medicine, and a little sippin' whiskey because I love my job as supervisor of packing peanuts at the fulfillment center."

As for myself, if I am ever interviewed at the lottery shop by a TV talking head, I will promise her an exclusive with me as soon as the money is in my bank account. BTW, I bought five "loosers" for the last PowerBall -- out of 30 numbers I had one... LUCKY number 26. Damn! >>>Thisclose<<<

1 in 292.2 million? Dreaming is one thing -- sheer idiocy is another. For the most part, I win almost every week. I only play when the pot gets ridiculously high.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I read that by the time the news conference happened, she had already called her employer and told them she wasn't coming back. Clearly, she has her head on straight.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Lord Jim wrote:I agree, she seems like a lovely person and a very deserving winner...

And she also had the presence of mind to answer the question, "Are you going to quit your job?" with the rational answer, "yes"...

It cracks me up when I see these folks who have just won one of these multi-hundred million dollar payouts who are working some low level job who answer with something like, "Oh no, I love being a sewer inspector; why would I quit?"
:loon

My suspicion is that those people are still basically in a state of shock, and they haven't really processed the enormity of the good fortune that has just befallen them, and they haven't thought it through...

I would really like to see those folks tracked to find out how many of them are still working at their jobs six months later...

I'd bet it's very few, if any...the first time the boss gives you any grief at all, you're going to say, "Screw this, what the hell am I doing here?"

My favorite one like that was a guy a few years ago who was in his mid sixties who had just won a 650 million dollar jackpot, who said he wasn't going to quit his job as a golf course groundskeeper...

I imagined a scenario where he would come into work a little late one day and the snooty club manager chews him out for being late. The guy leaves the room, comes back a little while later and says to the manager:

"Mr. Brookstone, I just bought the club. And as my first executive decision as the new owner, you're fired."
I know a few people who wouldn't quit. My wife's best friend wouldn't...she is a nurse, and loves what she does. My uncle could have retired 5+ years before he did...but he enjoyed his job. One of the temps who work as helpers for my company could probably buy the temp agency...but he still works a couple times a week, loading trucks at 70.
Treat Gaza like Carthage.

dales

Post by dales »

Why work when there are so many pleasant pursuits?

I don't play the lotto, but if I won, I wouldn't let the door hit me on the backside. :lol:

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I would probably keep on working.  After all, I've got insurance coverage through my employer.

Not to mention that if they started to get on my case for anything, how much fun it would be to remind them that I was only there because I wanted to be, not because I had to be.
="BB"-

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I'd keep working except that the daily commute from exotic locations all over the world might be a bit difficult.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I'd keep working - as director of my own philanthropic fund. Or, perhaps as owner/operator of an animal sanctuary.

But like Meade I'd be doing some world travel too, so I'd need staff. 8-)
~ Carl Sagan