Find Your Place in the Vaccine Line

All the shit that doesn't fit!
If it doesn't go into the other forums, stick it in here.
A general free for all
Big RR

Re: Find Your Place in the Vaccine Line

Post by Big RR »

Well your choice (at least now) and you'll ive with the consequecnes.

As for "rushed", it wasn't that long ago people wee bitching how long it was taking. You can't please everyone.

Personally, I'd worry more abut the production rush and how GMP will be assured rather than the development time, as BSG said, this is hardly new technologies. But the production of millions of doses in a short amount of time does concern me a bit; however, we will be better if most people get the vaccine, even with that concern. And I hope Biden steps up manufacturing monitoring and problem reporting so confidence in the vaccine will grow. Face it, there were problems with the initial production of the Salk vaccine, but they were dealt wth and it went forward.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:23 pm
Considering that we have a >99.9% chance of surviving COVID and a decent chance that even if infected we will not actually get sick, neither my wife nor I have any intention of getting this vaccine.
Those are good odds if you're betting money — from ten bucks all the way up to a couple billion.  But you and your wife are betting with your lives ... and if you're OK with that, then so be it.

But you're also betting with the lives of anyone else you may come into contact with, or even close proximity to.  And only a selfish asshole would do that.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

It would also be interesting to compare those odds with the odds from dying from a vaccine; yes, there have been some problems in the past, but never the deaths (or even serious illnesses) of the ten of thousands of people that would be necessary to exceed the odds Jarl quotes.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:04 pm
Sadly, the polls indicate we are far short of the 60-70% of the population that needs to take the vaccine in order to end the pandemic.
Ending the pandemic is not necessary (and there is no accepted % for what will constitute herd immunity). The goal is to have people stop getting really sick and dying from COVID, and for our society to return to its normal functioning. If the front line workers are vaccinated, and the high risk population is vaccinated, that just leaves some of the low-risk population unvaccinated. At that point, we will have achieved the goals of ending nearly all of the ill effects of COVID and we can get on with our lives, and do things like traveling (at least those of us who get a vaccine will be allowed to travel outside the U.S. ;) )

dales

Post by dales »

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:55 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:23 pm
Considering that we have a >99.9% chance of surviving COVID and a decent chance that even if infected we will not actually get sick, neither my wife nor I have any intention of getting this vaccine.
Those are good odds if you're betting money — from ten bucks all the way up to a couple billion.  But you and your wife are betting with your lives ... and if you're OK with that, then so be it.
I have a greater chance of dying because I decided to ride my motorcycle than from COVID.
But you're also betting with the lives of anyone else you may come into contact with, or even close proximity to.  And only a selfish asshole would do that.
-"BB"-
If the vaccine works, they should get it and they'll be fine. If it doesn't, it matters not whether or not I get it.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:13 am
I have a greater chance of dying because I decided to ride my motorcycle than from COVID.
You have a greater chance of getting sick from COVID than you do from getting sick from a motorcycle.
Jarlaxle wrote:
If the vaccine works, they should get it and they'll be fine. If it doesn't, it matters not whether or not I get it.
If the vaccine works and you get it, you can help prevent the disease from spreading to people who haven't gotten the vaccine. In other words, you can be a part of the solution or a part of the problem.

dales

Post by dales »

Jarl has always been part of the problem.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

dales wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:32 am
Be part of the solution, Bosco...kill yourself.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

You guys should get a room.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

These are iPad stations
— being prepped for virtual end-of-life ICU visits.

So FUCK YOU, Donald Trump.  May God have mercy on you when you croak, because you'll get none from me.
FUCK YOU, Moscow Mitch and the rest of the Republicunts who blew this off when there was still time to do something about it.
FUCK YOU, Trumpanzees and other deniers who kept doing your damnedest to sabotage any efforts that WERE being made to prevent the spread of this virus.

And a huge, two-handed,
DOUBLE FUCK YOU to the 70-some million maggots (MAGAts) who watched the last three-plus years of the dumpster fire that was the Trump 'administration' and were still ready and willing to vote for the orange asshole AGAIN!
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

dales

Post by dales »

Jarlaxle wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:46 am
dales wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:32 am
Be part of the solution, Bosco...kill yourself.
Here ya go jarl.....

And a huge, two-handed, DOUBLE FUCK YOU to the 70-some million maggots (MAGAts) who watched the last three-plus years of the dumpster fire that was the Trump 'administration' and were still ready and willing to vote for the orange asshole AGAIN!

yrs,
rubato

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Jarlaxle wrote:

I don't know how good you are on that bike, Jarl. But in 2018, according to NHTSA, there were 4,985 US m/c deaths. In the last two days, according to Johns Hopkins, there have been 5,486 COVID deaths in the US.

And I'm guessing, to further skew the numbers, deaths on motorbikes tend towards the younger riders. OTOH, COVID picks more often on us older guys.

So, no.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

There you go again, trying to confuse Jarlaxle with facts.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:13 pm
Jarlaxle wrote:

I don't know how good you are on that bike, Jarl. But in 2018, according to NHTSA, there were 4,985 US m/c deaths. In the last two days, according to Johns Hopkins, there have been 5,486 COVID deaths in the US.

And I'm guessing, to further skew the numbers, deaths on motorbikes tend towards the younger riders. OTOH, COVID picks more often on us older guys.

So, no.
If I get it, I get it. If I die, I die.

dales

Post by dales »

Jarl:

Please forgive me for shooting a zinger your way from time to time.

I won't do it anymore.

Have a decent and fulfilling life.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Did you take the same approach to avoiding HIV/AIDS?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

HUH?

I don't understand your question, BSG.

yrs,
rubato

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

dales wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:10 pm
HUH?
She's referring to Jarl's last entry, not your's.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:28 pm
Did you take the same approach to avoiding HIV/AIDS?
My chance of getting HIV was...honestly, it probably could not be differentiated from zero.